location, location, location

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

location, location, location

Post by Hammer » 24 Dec 2002, 11:39

Where do you think the backdrop should be for the game?

Planetside, ground combat? (any type of troops)

Ship boarding combat? (mostly marines)

This can determine a scope fairly quickly...I think ship boarding combat would be fairly limiting, making a first release easier. The maps may also be easier to create...
Helmut

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 24 Dec 2002, 13:44

Not sure if you are asking about battle location or not here but if that is what you wish to define - I would have to say look to going for the planetside arena ala MechWarrior environments - it provides more scope for expansion. I understand we are not immediately concerned about expansion, but what IF this thing really takes off?! You will have limited your ability to expand or for others to try to do that for you.
I guess what I am getting at here is if you limit yourself to only that which you need and don't go for what you would ideally like to have, by the time it gets off the ground and becomes popular we will already be sat in the "dated" park, and expanding / improving will be more difficult if not impossible - you only need to look at Falcon 4. I'm not saying this will be anything like Falcon 4 or it's success, but many a beautiful swan has emerged from an ugly duckling :wink:
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05

Gator

Post by Gator » 25 Dec 2002, 10:59

Kodiak: Are you calling us an ugly duckling? :lol:

But seriously...

How about this: We model an "interplanetary" swat/reaction/spec-ops team. Their duties could include intercepting pirate space ships, intervening in planetside disturbances, etc. Or, to keep it more open, the team can be like an "enforcer" squad for a particular faction ... to ensure the economy of that faction.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK » 25 Dec 2002, 16:21

Yep! I like the first idea and we could use our own solar system to do that as an arena! Hell, if you really wanted to get that complicated, you could use all the algorithmic programs to determine the exact position of the planets on a particular day in a particular year (NASA site) and hence a realistic time-line using a projected speed capability for that future technology - so when we actually arrive to do our policing thing the computer can calculate how much havoc / damage has been caused by the marauding alien troops. And then firstly we have to talk damage limitation operations and followed by reclamation of territories and so on. How does that sound as a suggestion?
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05