Started My Own Business

Post your stuff for sale or trade, or if you are looking to buy something. RLGaming takes no responsibility for any transactions made - use your best judgement when dealing with people.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Started My Own Business

Post by Grifter »

You folks have not seen much of me because I've started my own business. Will take a while to get things going. But, the good news is that I am slowly gathering supply sources. I'm going to be selling books, DVDs, and video games. I will be getting these at a discount rate. Any time I have a little extra, I'll post the product here and let you folks have first chance at it. I might be able to get new release DVDs for as low as 6.00 to 8.00 dollars. Still working on the video games and books. Keep you posted.
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

Handy. Could help us no end.
"...and the bombs go BOOM and the walls crash down, bang, bang, boom, boom, war is a terrible thing, OK?!..."

[img]http://www.stevelanephotography.co.uk/aviation/TEMP/Area51.jpg[/img]
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Wow, taking on Amazon? Good luck!
The Jedi Master
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

No of course not. Although the market is saturated with this product, there is still room, I think, to make a nice side business with little expense of my own. Most likely, I'll fail, but I honestly don't feel like selling anything else at the moment. I'm considering all options however and I'm having fun playing around with it if nothing else. Learning a lot about biz startup etc. We'll see what happens. If I do connect with some drop shippers etc, I'll let you know. May be able to get the product cheaper.
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

Hope you'll have more fortune than my dad, he started up a Russian motorbike dealership in England, the bikes were, quite honestly, crap (the Russians didn't fix the problems), someone nicked a lot of money from the company, and life became rather unbearable. He's now trying (reasonably successfully) to set up a plywood factory near Omsk. With any luck, I'll be able to learn to fly helos. (I do have fixed-wing lessons at the moment).
"...and the bombs go BOOM and the walls crash down, bang, bang, boom, boom, war is a terrible thing, OK?!..."

Grifter

Post by Grifter »

whirly birds are death traps. Stick with fixed wings and watch your six lad. :-)
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

Apparently I'm good enough on light planes to go solo, but im 2 years under the age limit of 16. Why are choppers death traps?

Madrus

Post by Madrus »

i am not sure i would call them death traps, but they are much more difficult to fly properly. little inherent stability versus fixed wings.
"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." --Barry Goldwater
[img]http://home.online.no/~rgt36/grafikk/fa-18-rot.gif[/img]
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

I suppose once you get high enough speed for retrating blade stall, on high enough vertical speed for vortex rings, you may have some problems. Different wind directions at low speeds can be horrendous. Do any of you have the Enemy Engaged series? That modles all of this well.

Chowda

Post by Chowda »

I'm not a helo guy but I've talked to a few and most have said that with retreating blade stall the intial reaction of the helicopter is to pitch up (and reduce speed) prior to rolling, hopefully correcting poor pilot input.

I'd be more concerned about the "Jesus Nut" (no idea where it's located or what it is), but it's supposed to be the 25 cent piece that holds all the moving parts togther. If that goes, there's appearantly nothing that can be done.

I haven't heard what caused this one, but it didn't look fun.

http://easylink.playstream.com/katu/040 ... sh_11p.wvx

Hammer, what about Gliders? You can Solo a glider at 14 (FAR 61.81-61.95) and get your Private Pilot license at 16. Plus, you have lower fuel costs :wink:

Just an idea to keep your training going with a direction to go in rather than spinning your wheels for 2 years.

Alex
Fly Baby Delta
Hammer_other

Post by Hammer_other »

My dad's keen that I get a job in the RAF (frankly I prefer the USAF-better hardware), and he (and I) see that these lessons are the best way to achieve it. I may go for a career in the army, hopefully the Special Forces.

KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Okay Hammer - here's the deal. It's fine your father wanting you to do something in particular but the only way you will be happy in life is if you do what YOU want to do, without pressure from parents. If you want to join the USAF, or US marines you'll have to go live abroad and become a US citizen, and be one for at least 2 years before they will allow you to apply. You can find all the info you need by contacting most recruiting offices, anywhere in the World. If you want some indepth info about it all, including the academic side - you would do well to contact the USAF Academy in Colorado Springs, Montana (use the internet to gain details as to who to contact at what address).
As far as hardware is concerned there are many who will dispute who has the best of what; but to discuss the RAF, RN - we will be receiving in the not too distant future the following equipments which should excite you - F35-B variant I think, Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 brand new state-of-the-art Super Carriers (just like the US Navy has!).
Now let's talk Army - from a man who has done his time, I can assure you that you'd best stick with the RN or the RAF. Cause there are no careers in the Army - not that you'd want. And as far as Special Forces is concerned, unfortunately it's not something you can just walk into, no matter how good you might be. There are many criteria which must fit the bill and it's not just about being fit, having an education and decent haircut. That's not to say you won't someday make it - just that it isn't as simple as turning up at the recruiting office and saying: I'd like to join the SAS Regiment because I got a good score on my entry exams. Frankly, I'd stay away from the Army if I was you - but that's just my opinion, OK?! :wink:
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

well, being an infantryman at heart...i can wholeheartedly recommend any infantry. it is NOT an easy way to go. if you want spec ops, like Kodiak said you must work for it. there is no waltzing in... you can expect to do at least 5 years in regular forces before attemting to go to spec ops selection.

now for the other side, there are not a lot of career options after you are done with being an infantryman. i have been very lucky (my capabilities helped some) to have gotten where i am at in life. you will have to start planning early on in your combat arms career about your retirement. that is all from an enlisted viewpoint. officers definitely have options after their armed forces career, but you can count on an entry level position with most civilian companies initially - but that of course depends upon many factors - your rank when you get out, what your career was, what additional postings you may have had, special duties, etc. any pure combat arms or spec ops person is going to have a difficult time of it when back in the real world though...enlisted or officer. that is from a job perspective as well as an adjustment perspective.

if you want to fly for an armed force, you are going to first have to be VERY good, and if you want to fly fighters you are going to have to be even better. no other way around that.

you being british nationality, i would stick with those armed forces... it is just going to delay you getting into the us military if you try to go that way...and if it drags out too long you could be too old for selection for certain things. also, you may not be eligible for certain clearances until you are a us citizen, and that takes quite a long while as well. lack of those clearances may prevent you from certain selection processes as well.
Helmut