MW4:Mercs install

Discuss any Battletech or Mechwarrior games/mods.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

now wait a sec here.

IIRC peeps can install the mech packs and still play on servers with or without them and so can peeps who dont have them, they just cant drive the mecj pack mechs....right

shit it has been waaaaay to long since I had to wade thru all this crap
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

If you mean the MS Mech Packs, Buff, then yah, whether you have them or not doesn't matter. If ya don't, there'll be some mechs ya can't use; no biggie.

If it's the MekTek stuff, ya gotta have it to be compatible.

Kodiak - 'Puretech' is an NBT convention - you won't find the word in any CBT rulebook - and besides, the CBT rulebooks have actual RULES for mixing IS and Clan tech bases (aka 'crossteching' or 'x-teching' in NBT lingo). Even so, there are NBT players who will argue TO THE DEATH that CBT is all about puretech, and you can quote the pertinent sections of the Battletech Master Rules to 'em 'til you're blue in the face and it won't do any good. Nevertheless, it's all nonsense.

BUT - it's their servers, their rules. And anyway I actually kinda like Puretech.

Yes, there are programs out there that can check for and prevent crossteching.

TD
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Wait...Tach....you are talking about me! But 2 years out of the game I have forgotten most of it :shock:
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Well, at the mo, I am sat on the 2.1a & HD install. Guess until we all decide what we are going to adopt, I'll do some practising at that install state.
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

updated to include mp3 install and added specific links for files.
Helmut
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Okay, cool. v3.02a patched and ready, just doing a test run now. Glad I 'planned ahead'. :wink: 8)
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

updated for poll results...
Helmut
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Mek#1, #2 packs are still a no-no, right?

Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

If you mean the Microsoft Mech Packs for IS and Clan, they are *optional*. I have mine installed, else I wouldn't have access to a Dragon (or a Kodiak) or any of the Mektek mechs that use those mechs as a basis. Gotta have my Dragon.

TD
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

I see, but is there a downside to installing them? I've seen some crazy mechs I like in the standard 3.02a. Large Gauss rifles - rock on, baby!! What's the deal there, if you have the pack and I don't, will I 'see' you in a standard mech, or will I actually see you piloting say, a Dragon?

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

as mentioned, the downside to the mech packs is C-Dilla.
Helmut
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

The Microsoft Mech Pack mechs are the Dragon, Highlander, Hunchback, Zeus, Cauldron Born, Arctic Wolf, Masakari, and Kodiak.

These mechs are actually *in* the MW4: Mercs game; the AI opponents pilot them, and you may see them in the course of the single-player campaign, but you can't use them yourself unless you have the Mech Packs installed.

The new Mektek mechs use existing mechs as a basis. For example, when you're piloting an Ares (a Mektek original), the damage window on your HUD shows your mech as a Vulture - that's because the Ares was built from the existing Vulture. So if some of the new mechs are based on the MS Mech Pack mechs, then you'd be able to see them, but not use them, same as with the mechs they're based on.

I'm pretty sure I saw one of the MP3.02a mechs using a Hunchback as it's base, but I don't remember which one it was.

TD
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

Steel wrote:as mentioned, the downside to the mech packs is C-Dilla.
Not to be confused with Gausszilla

C-Dilla info:

http://www.privacyandspying.com/privacy-c_dilla.html

TD