unit name

Discuss any Battletech or Mechwarrior games/mods.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

unit name

Post by Hammer »

EDIT EDIT: we could potentially have an issue with our currently preferred unit name.

http://elh.neobt.ru/ - they have a 19th Striker as one of their regiments with members assigned. maybe we use 19th Cavalry?

plus they have 'claimed' ELH in MWO. they state in their thread that ELH is canonically part of the AFFC, but it was a perception from what I gather and not really, technically canon.

they have also posted themselves as ELH in the unofficial MWO wiki.

http://mwowiki.org/wiki/index.php?title ... ight_Horse

EDIT: I think we are close to a name.

19th Striker will be the base. We need to decide on RegimentaL Guard or Regiment Life Guards.

I will turn this into a poll, I would say everyone here can vote (even if you are not going to play MWO) as we are going to represent RLG. If you run into others online please ask them to come vote. Depending upon how many characters we are allowed for a unit tag we will use 19thRLG, 19RLG, or just RLG.

Life Guards background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Guard ... ed_Kingdom)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_Cavalry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK - we do not seem to have gotten far, but probably do not need to yet.

so far we have:
ELH sub-unit: 2 (Slayer, Buff)
merc (can also be ELH or other): 2 (Staark/Softball, Hammer)
RLG: 3 (Bron, Slam, Veg (ELH sub-unit w/RLG))

if i have this wrong let me know. see if any of you can get any of the others in here to 'vote' or do a proxy vote if you talk to them.
Oshay, Hondo, Blackhawk, Warcry, Oshay, Cougarmech

some points of note and discussion:

-we cannot use a canon merc unit name
-it would be nice to use RLG as the unit acronym, but I am not stuck on it. while it might help get us more recruits, i am not sure we want to get too big, we can always do something in MWO forum sigs like ELH, part of the RLGaming group (of course we cannot be ELH, and ELPonies, well. ugh.)
-some people seem to want to be tied to a House, which is OK. but Federated Commonwealth which is in the current MWO timeline is a combination of two houses. In order to choose something that is suitable and fite the timline and Battletech history we need to decide which of those two Houses we would be more loyal to: Davion or Steiner. From what I recall is would be Steiner? I already have some decent storylines in my head but that is something that needs to be resolveed (at least for me). i feel a good backstory lends more credibility to the whole feel of the thing
-need to choose leaders of the unit. anyone get hold of Slam, BH, or any of the other ELH leadership? Bron and I are here of course, but that does not mean anyone else wants us leading the unit. :)
-hw many people do we really have? the community warfare is a ways off, so we have plenty of time to work on and decide things. but we can have fun right now in drops as organized lances

so i would like, in order to come up with a plausible unit story (it can be a brand new unit in current 3049 timeline!), some comments on House/Merc preferences, etc. we can always just be a merc unit with allegiance to the c-bill or a House or a planet.

if you want to do some research, sarna.net hosts the battletech wiki.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

just remember the year, in BT and MWO, is 3049. the Clans have already hit the Periphery (in August, about 3 months ago).
Helmut
VEGETA

Re: unit name

Post by VEGETA »

Well I think we should stick close to our roots in MW4 days. (I was not here for mw3). So some of us came from Steiner side and joined Your ELH merc unit Hammer. Now when the meta game hits you have to have a side to fight with, be it merc, or house. Now remember a merc unit could fight any ware they wish as long as the pay if good.

so my thinking is lets stay ELH. Note ELH is contracted to the AFFC which is the Stiner/Davion side of things making people happy. Now to do this, as you stated we can not use the ELH name specifically. BUT Back in the day we had ELH split into several Regiment. Regiments listed below for the time line we are in. Why not take a Regiment style name, so say we are the "151st Horse Regiment of RLG". but we somehow tie back as being part of ELH basically and some how tie RLG into the name as well.

Eridani Light Horse
Contract: AFFC
71st Light Horse (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable)[25]
21st Striker (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable)[25]
151st Horse (Regiment/Elite/Reliable)[25]

Eridani Light Horse
Contract: AFFC
CO: General Adriana Winston [26]
21st Striker (Veteran/Reliable) [26]
CO: Colonel Edwin amis [26]
151st Light Horse (Elite/Fanatical) [26]
CO: Colonel Charles Antonescu [26]

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Eridani_Light_Horse
Tach Deneva

Post by Tach Deneva »

Do you think there will be 'league' play for this game? Like in the old days with NBT and ADL and whatever else I can't remember. Is that what you mean by 'meta game'?
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Tach Deneva wrote:Do you think there will be 'league' play for this game? Like in the old days with NBT and ADL and whatever else I can't remember. Is that what you mean by 'meta game'?
Ok the meta game is basically the battletech universe coming into play. Basically we will be fighting for worlds between houses and such. So Say you pick to be stiner. you find that stiner is attacking some planet. You would be able to join that fight as a group or just a random player. It would take a lot of fights to take a plant idea. More to it then that, let me scan a copy of the pc gamer article about MWO. It did a decent job of explaining it.

As for league games, my guess is that yes there will be something. But not until the match making and pre made group vs pre made group is sorted out. As of right now there is no way to do it. but once meta game hits, meaning we play for something, then there will also be multiple game types (besides the capture the base we have now).
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I like Veg's idea. I played with ELH primarily back in the days of MW2, but would prefer the flexibility of a merc. and the story line(s) behind it.

As for the meta-game. Is PGI going to provide the game mechanics to drive it or is it something that will be external to the game? I should dig through the forums more, but man, it is so easy to get lost in them. My hope is that PGI provides mechanics for the entire play experience. The possibilities are so endless it would make for fantastic game play!
Shawn AKA Slayer AKA Aeross
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | MEM 2 x G.Skill F3-1600C9-8GXM | CPU AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Deneb (3.2g Stock) | Video AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series | 1024 MB | Rating: 5.9
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

they are making the mechanics to drive it. i am sure it will be small steps, but that is their goal. i do not know if parts of the game, like drops vs whatever group you want, will be made available though.

I do not mind at all taking one of the ELH Regimental names.

Regiments:
71st Light Horse Regiment (about back to full strength in 3049)(White Horse Regiment)
151st Light Horse Regiment (Dark Horse Regiment)
21st Striker Regiment (Winston's Moonrakers)

The issue is that ELH asked for and receieved leave to come to terms with the Clan invasion, and it was granted. They did not report back to duty with the Federated Commonwelath until 3052. This probably happened in 3050 (or 3051).

We could just use one of the Regimental Nicknames as well, change up the icon a bit.

But if others have ideas and thoughts let's hear them.
Helmut
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Hammer wrote:they are making the mechanics to drive it. i am sure it will be small steps, but that is their goal. i do not know if parts of the game, like drops vs whatever group you want, will be made available though.

I do not mind at all taking one of the ELH Regimental names.

Regiments:
71st Light Horse Regiment (about back to full strength in 3049)(White Horse Regiment)

The issue is that ELH asked for and receieved leave to come to terms with the Clan invasion, and it was granted. They did not report back to duty with the Federated Commonwelath until 3052. This probably happened in 3050 (or 3051).

We could just use one of the Regimental Nicknames as well, change up the icon a bit.

But if others have ideas and thoughts let's hear them.
It would have happened after the wolfdragoons revealed who they where and who the clans where. As before that occurred in 3051, this was some unknown invading force. This shocked ELH as ELH is originally a star league unit that stayed behind and went mirc so they did not have to join any specific house. they where waiting for Kerenskys children to return to bring in a new golden age, but instead they returned for blood.

Yes I have been reading to much battletech stuff as of late PDT_Armataz_01_36
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

me too Veg. :)

as mentioned previously we can always borrow from another storyline and use:

Hammer's Regiment (Slammers)!

does NOT mean I have to be in charge, BTW.

Red Lancer Guard (RLG):

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleoni ... 2ndlancers

one of my previous RL units, 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment (now a striker Brigade).
Helmut
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

All very interesting ... I'm assuming PGI then will also be moving the timeline as we progress.

I gotta do some reading, I really do. I'd like to know the history (if any) of ELH leading up to 3050. I'll do some snooping around but if someone wants to point me in the right direction, thats cool to.
Shawn AKA Slayer AKA Aeross
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | MEM 2 x G.Skill F3-1600C9-8GXM | CPU AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Deneb (3.2g Stock) | Video AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series | 1024 MB | Rating: 5.9
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

no more input on unit name?

here you go Slayer. but the wiki is written by people, and they do not always say things correctly or use good grammar or include everything. also, i feel some of the Battletech history is just a bit wonky and some of the presumtions of the background details are just off. but oh well, it is sci fi.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Eridani_Light_Horse

i am not sure if there is anything else out there unless you buy stuff. i will look through what i have, but they are all the later rule sets so are more about the Jihad time period and after.

another site with some BTech history:

http://iron-brigade.org/btech/html/index.htm
Helmut
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

I like the merc route. We could always scab a Unit name from within ELH.

I'd like the 50th Hvy Cav Batt. the "Bloody Half Hundred"

History.......
In the hellfire that erupted after Kerensky's exodus, the Light Horse remained aloof. Minoru Kurita, Coordinator of the Draconis Combine, made numerous offers of employment to Colonel Bradley, who rebuffed the overtures, saying. In his words, the Light Horse had no intention of entering into "the petty politics of five petty rulers", and was only interested in waiting for the return of General Kerensky. Only when Minoru threatened to cancel all trade with the unit did he finally get the attention of the Light Horse commander. Long negotiations between the two sides produced a mutual defense and nonaggression pact. The Draconis Combine agreed to tolerate the presence of the Eridani Light Horse in Kurita space as long as the unit defended its worlds and made no move against the Combine.

The Light Horse easily handled the few tentative thrusts by the Lyran Commonwealth against its home worlds. On the other side of the Combine, however, the Kuritists suffered a disastrous campaign against the Federated Suns. In the battle for Kentares IV, Minoru Kurita was killed, and his insanely violent son Jinjiro succeeded him. In 2796, Jinjiro avenged his father's death by massacring some 52 million civilians on Kentares IV.

Evacuation

After hearing of the Kentares Massacre, the commanding officers of the Light Horse began preparing to move. Though everyone from the unit commander down to the most inexperienced warrior hated to leave their worlds, most realized that a confrontation with the psychotic Jinjiro was inevitable.

By June of 2798, most of the Eridani Light Horse had launched and were waiting for the dependents of the 8th Recon Battalion and 50th Heavy Cavalry Battalions to leave the planet Sendai. Furious with the units' desertion, the administrator of Sendai captured and held those families hostage, demanding that the entire unit lay down its weapons and turn itself over to him. When the Light Horse failed to meet the disarm deadline, he ordered his troops to execute the two thousand dependents.

Enraged, the 8th and 50th battalions dropped on the planet. The resulting battle lasted for a week and ended after every political official and Combine BattleMech was hunted down and slaughtered. Forces from neighboring worlds in the Rasalhague Military District appeared insystem, but when informed of the administrator's deeds they soon withdrew. The 8th and 50th returned grim and battered. Although the officers of the two units had acted without orders, Colonel Bradley refused their resignations. Today, the 50th Heavy Cavalry (now nicknamed "The Bloody Half Hundred") and the 8th Recon Battalion are tradition-bound to protect the dependents of the Light Horse.

After leaving Sendai, the Eridani Light Horse crossed the Inner Sphere and entered the Free Worlds League. Marik immediately granted them a place to stay until both sides could work out a mercenary contract. Colonel Bradley pledged his unit to the Free Worlds League in exchange for a secure world for the unit's families, a steady supply source, and a modest fee.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

yep, that was kinda the idea i wrote, but it might be better off picking a regiment rather than a battalion. here are the regiments and the battalions that composed them, my reasoning is it gives people in the unit (us!) a selection of units to belong to rather than all one (kinda like we did with the different regiments in ELH). i like the Bloody Half Hundred, but it seems they are always guarding the dependants now, likely staying at garrison rather than deploying? the issue with the below is we do not really know the makeup/type of the battalions, except the 8th and 50th.

71st Light Horse Regiment (White Horse Regiment)
HO Company (Petersen's Own)
11th Battalion (Alley Cats)
17th Battalion (Screaming Eagles)
82nd Battalion (Kerensky's Favorite)

HO Company (Fairchild's Guards)
6th Battalion (Stimson's Stealthers)
8th Battalion (Cyclones)
50th Battalion (Bloody Half-Hundred)

HO Company (Winston's Guards.)
3rd Battalion (Jamal's Plague)
7th Battalion (Nigel's Nightslayers)
1st Battalion (Mighty Mites)
5th Battalion (Dirkson's Dragonslayers)

also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2d_Stryker ... y_Regiment

i was in this unit, and it already has over 150 years of history in RL! there is, however, no differentiation in the squadrons. they are all the same. of course i was in the 1st Armor Division, Bulldog Brigade as well (also 101st, but not relevant to armored warfare).
Helmut
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

True...........

Id cast my vote for the 151st

of Sarna.net here is the TO&E for the 151st
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/1/14/E ... thorse.png
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

can you read any of that text in that graphic? seems too small to make out?
Helmut
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

click on it and click again to blow up
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

somewhere in my, PC/junk/not sure where to put it so it goes in here, room.........I have the ELH field manuals (both old and new)
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

OK Buff, you HAVE to find those. if nothing else send them to me and I will scan in. ;)

so far we have:
ELH sub-unit: 3 (Slayer, Veg, Buff)
merc: 1 (Staark/Softball)
don't care: 1 (Hammer)
RLG: 2 (Bron, Slam)

if i have this wrong let me know. see if any of you can get any of the others in here to 'vote' or do a proxy vote if you talk to them.
Oshay, Hondo, Blackhawk,
Helmut
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Hammer wrote:OK Buff, you HAVE to find those. if nothing else send them to me and I will scan in. ;)

so far we have:
ELH sub-unit: 3 (Slayer, Veg, Buff)
merc: 1 (Staark/Softball)
don't care: 1 (Hammer)
RLG: 2 (Bron, Slam)

Oshay, Hondo, Blackhawk,

Actually I was hoping to get RLG into the name. Ie a combination of ELH unit sub and RLG in the title. Makes more people happy and make us easier to find.

And buff I will take a copy as well. Hell any battleech e-books you have would be great. Been getitng into this stuff again, so good reading.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

E-books? No, I have about 90% of all the source material (up until about 6 years ago) ever produced for battletech
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Buffalo Six wrote:E-books? No, I have about 90% of all the source material (up until about 6 years ago) ever produced for battletech
I have a large percentage of it as well to be hoenst. but if you have scaned/ebook versions I would love to have it. Ie its nice to read on the tablet PDT_Armataz_01_36