new unit organization and leadership

Discuss any Battletech or Mechwarrior games/mods.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

new unit organization and leadership

Post by Hammer »

so we need to discuss this, now that we seem on track to having a consensus, who wants to lead and has time to lead (they could be different things), and what others think about leadership. this can be a difficult decision and discussion, primarily because i think l most all of us have lead within ELH at one time or another, as well as in RL, and naturally fall into that role. i recall from past:

Bron - ELH CO
Slam - ELH CO
Hammer - ELH S3 and then XO, WoF XO, WoF REDFOR CO, SOG S3
Buff - ELH Regimental CO
Hondo - ELH some leadership position

Others present may have been leadership as well (I know BH was). I think the big issue is who has time? remember how much time a league takes. The CO, XO, and maybe Master Gunner need to be pretty active in that community. Depends upon how we set things up. The 1SG will need to be very active within our group to rally troops for practice and combat drops. Someone needs to actively recruit and run the recruiting process, but I think we do need to be picky.

we also need to discuss how formal/competitive we want to be vs. lax/fun. it can be lax/competitive, but that is a difficult combination. i do actually think with our group we could do that. we would still need some admin assigments, and need to designate people to handle league and other outside interactions but otherwise we probably do not need a formal organization. but yes, Bron could still fly his star. PDT_Armataz_01_12

so post below what you would like to do within the unit, and if you would like to be more competitive or lax/fun and your thoughts on it. it could be we have a couple different groups within our org as well, if we get large enough. if you want more definition of what the positions might be, i can post something.
Helmut
Hammer

Re: new unit organization and leadership

Post by Hammer »

i will start.

i would love to lead in some aspect. i do not have a lot of spare time however. it is also very easy for me to take over. i know this and sometimes it is to my detriment. PDT_Armataz_01_05

so if a position arises where i can help lead but not have to put too much time in, i am for it.

i know i would be good for: CO, XO, 1SG, Lance Leader. i do not think I would be a good master gunner, at least not yet. i think most of you guys are better than me and this is a special position; someone that knows the ins and outs of mechs, weapons, heat and the tactics wrapped around that. this person must also be willing to teach and train others in this knowledge. they are not necessarilly the person with the most kills, but someone that consistently displays good teamwork.
Helmut
Bronurstomp

Post by Bronurstomp »

Great start Hammer. Exactly the kind of thing I think we need. Thanks for setting a direction.
I'll pick up the role of Gunny Master if no one objects.
My first suggestion will be to drop and practice, even if just with PUGs, as much as ya'll can. Most anything you need to know you can figure out by playing a lot. And the only way to advance your Mechs is by tons of experience points, which you can only get by playing... a LOT.
If there are some things that are importantly weighted over some other things, bugs, or nerfs, we'll go into it. But I think any question you will have, will be answered just by trying it out. If we start dropping in groups on a regular basis, we'll work on more finer details and strategies, then we can train on them.
I'll make the next few posts with something we can - maybe - put into a recruiting message. I think it's everyone's responsibility to recruit though. I'm not sure of a good way to let otherwise strangers join us. Slayer has already had his brother drop with us. My son actually might be able to play a little. A very little. But we'll see.
So, let's limit at first, recruiting to people we already know? Or at least have a reference from someone we know? I'm trying to get a few guys at work that played WoW to try it. One guy might be interested and I'm going to show him a video.
How are we going to organize, not as ranks and such, but in relation to RLG? Will it be the forums more or TS3 based?
I enjoy real time chat for role playing. But the Forums can be good for that too. Thanks again btw Hammer for keeping it organised thus far.
I would like to see us play MW from a role play thread going forward. :cheers:
So I'll start it here, and incorporate it into what you were saying Hammer, by taking the gunny spot, I'll play it out like this..

Ok Mechwarriors, First off, you have to HIT what you shoot at, at a minimum, to give your Squad a chance for victory.
I'm pretty up on how most of the weapons act out there.
Bigger is usually better, which stands to reason, just from a physics standpoint.
However, from what I've seen, the battlefield is pretty well balanced. So what does that mean?
Well, sometimes faster is more important than bigger. A smart, skilled, pilot in a small, fast, Battlemech can strategically change a battlefield situation as much as an assault mech in a pitched fight.
What I've noticed that helps the most is Practice. Now, like ya'll, I'm not always going to be available to point out the finer details to you about every measly popgun in your Battlemech.
It's going to remain up to all of us to get out there, and get in some battle time. If you have to lead a PUG through the cauldron of hell and keep them from blowing themselves, and you, into smithereens, just so you can work on your heat management, then so be it. Get out there, and train! If we have troops online, then go together.
Work on those stats.

That's all for now.

So, another thing I thought about, is this:
Wins and losses ratios are what we're interested in as a unit here in RLG.
And for advancement, first it's the numbers of battles that you've had that will be a minimum requirement for some positions.
And then a higher ratio of victories/defeats for some of the prime leadership roles. (I wonder/ hope, that they'll reset stats when the game goes 'live')
I know some of us like to harp on our kills ratio, and that's fine. Bragging rights are what they are. I can't brag much yet, I say, yet.
But for promotions, and choice positions, in RLG you have to show a good win ratio?

Anyway, let me post this before it gets too much later.

<S>
Bron PDT_Armataz_01_36
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Leadership roles could be held to blood trials. Once stats. are met, a trial is held where winner takes all. On recruiting, i agree, try and recruit fam/friends first, then start recruit scouting. Maybe use a trial entry and require x number of drops before full membership.

As far as my position in this unit. I can take some leadership if needed. Having a 2yo son and 8yo daughter presents some interesting challenges during a match however, just ask Bron. ;) I like to think I've got some skills when it comes to piloting and heat management. I have some tricks I've been using since the early days that have provven themselves. I'd be willing to share those things with ppl willing to learn.

That being said, I'll leave it up to you guys to find a fit for me.
Shawn AKA Slayer AKA Aeross
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | MEM 2 x G.Skill F3-1600C9-8GXM | CPU AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Deneb (3.2g Stock) | Video AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series | 1024 MB | Rating: 5.9
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

As far as formal / competition, i play games to have fun. If politics and formaility get in the way of that, I'll step away from it. My interest is fighting for planets. I'm not interested in mwo as an esport, although if they implement arena combat (Solaris) I'll probably give it a wack.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | MEM 2 x G.Skill F3-1600C9-8GXM | CPU AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Deneb (3.2g Stock) | Video AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series | 1024 MB | Rating: 5.9
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Back in the day I was lead of 21st strikers if I remmeber right, basiclay lance leader. The stiner boys where put under Buff in there own regermet command. Think Hondo was also a lance leader as well but I could be wrong. Before that I was GOA at one point of Stiner. tho thats back in the day of me having spare time. I still want to help out tho, so maybe nt as much a leadership role as a training role or somthing along those lines. Gotten dam good with some specific mechs I beieve and overall just enjoying finding info on the game.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

My biggest issue right now is that MWO isnt fun. The ECM patch had pretty much made most of my builds useless, and no I dont run a streakcat. Because I missed almost all of the beta up til now I have crap for XP so I dont have any of the skill trees completed. I have very limited cash for upgrades, and with no ability to save one configuration over another, I really dont find failing around in the mech bay remotely fun or interesting.
I also dont enjoy getting rolled in every match I am in. The lag shield issues for the lights is redunkulous, even when I have pretty good pings I miss more often than not in the circle of death with a light. The game is full of Flavor of the Month cheese builds (streakcats, 6ML jenners etc....). There are no tactics other than bum rush to 300m and slug it out. Now with the ECM update, its even worse. MWO is about as much fun right now as a kick to the nads.

2nd, the controls, or better, the lack of controls is really messing with me. Jacked up joystick control, no torso twist other than with a mouse, is almost a killer for me. If I'm flying, I'm damn sure not using the kb to control the plane. I'm just really disappointed with the game as it is right now.

So, havign said that, just stick me in a lance somewhere.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I feel your pain B6. I grunted and groaned my way to the point i'm at now. I have 3 HBK variants and i'm still trying to save up CBs for my first 'phract. I've only ever played MW using kbd and mouse, but even with that there are a couple simple things missing. I told Bron the other night, I wish they'd stop focusing on content right now and fix what they have. If they'd spend time working on the lights lag shield and a few other simpler issues, not the least of which is it's pitiful social system, they'd have a much better game. All that being said, we're still in beta :)
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Buff,
i think part of your frustration is playing solo. if we get online regularly, even with just 2-3 people, things change. I will start a separate thread since my comments to come are not related to unit leadership and organization.
Helmut
Bronurstomp

Post by Bronurstomp »

I think this is the right place to post this. At present, I am registered as Merc-Corp.

Which one of these factions do we all want to be associated with in the future?

Bronurstomp PDT_Armataz_01_41
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

Lyran is 1st choice then either Davion or Kurita

>>>>>editied to fix the Veg-isums<<<<<<<
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

are we going with a faction, or staying merc?
Helmut
Slamhammer

Post by Slamhammer »

we will stay merc but side with Davion or Lyran...I prefer Davion...
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

in this timeline it is Federated Commnwealth, but one can always remember one's loyalties. ;)

i am going to be cautious and say it might depend upon who is running FedCom. I think initially it is Piranah, but they are looking to let players get in on the action. If they are morons, well.
Helmut