MW 5...maybe we can sure as hell hope!

Discuss any Battletech or Mechwarrior games/mods.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Firemane

Post by Firemane »

Thanks for sharing that post, Bullseye! We can always hope, anyway. I just hope they work on making the multiplayer aspect of it as smooth as a lot of the shooter games like UT, Quake, etc. Would also be nice if there's a simple checkbox in the server that sets it to Pure tech so there's not chance for someone to mess up.
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

I think something is probably going on, however i dont believe it will be announced any time soon let alone be developed.

it simply could be that MS might do an expansion and wants the mektek guys to do it. look at all the money M$ lost becuse they dropped the ball on the game and left out a ton of mechs and weapons when they could of charged ppl 20 bucks hehe. ( remember IS/Clan Packs? )

Seriously though, it would be nice, but im feeling a little jaded about the whole mechwarrior developments. specialy now that the MW community is a little devided. you got your sim nuts who are the older mechwarriors who been around since MW1 on a 286. and fallowed the line till they decided to cater to the youger crowd who are interested in flash and action. Im somewhere in the middle i guess. but lean a little to the sim side of things conerning mechwarrior. the question is what side would they develope the new game for? would it be a hoped up flashed out version of MW4? or would it be more like a ghost recon of the mechwarrior world?
Firemane

Post by Firemane »

That's a good observation, BH. I also lean to the "older" side as well.
Featherhorse

Post by Featherhorse »

Gimme a fun game, a good wing, and a cold beer, so I'm good for whatever happens.

Fethr
Falker

Post by Falker »

Well , This came off the top of my head a few weeks ago and now looks like a good time to post it.

I’d say Robert Thurston ( Author of Battletech ) has envisioned most of his Ideas from The Robotech story that started it all. The classic Comico adaptation of the landmark animated series that helped introduce anime to America. Intergalactic war, death-defying adventure, heart-rending romanceone one of the first animated cartoons made available to the public.

If you’ve paid attention to the Mechs shown in Robotech , you’ll notice a big similarity to the ones used in Thurstons books. Hellbringer , Marauder , Warhammer etc. etc . It's more of a resemblance rather then coincidence. I believe Robert Thurston got his ideas for his book ( Battletech ) from the Robotech Cartoon ( MACROSS SAGE ) Also , when he finally came back to write another book ( Freebirth ) a few years later , The Jade Falcon Mechs were Transformable to fly as well , just like Robotech . I congratulate Robert Thurston for carrying on the idea and inspiring us all.

Now here’s an idea for a PC programmer. If M$ has a lock down on Battletech , Maybe someone should make another game entitled “ Robotech “ . This way some of us die hard Mechers on the P. C . ( and newbie’s ) could have something to look forward too.

Just a thought .
...........Image
We're in the pipe , five by five.
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

What books are you refering to? I have all but the 1st CBT novel (no I wont buy any of the DA crap) but it's been a while since I read or looked at the older ones so which ones were you refering to?

You do know that all of what we call the Unseen mechs were taken from various japanese anime titles in the early 80's. Titles like Crusher Joe, Macross, Dougram and others. Robotech is a bastardized combination of several titles of the Macross genre, of which now there are many legal actions over who owned what and who has the rights etc...

This is how we lost the unseen. Also remember up until the mid 90's nothing was unseen. So lots of the novels still contained the unseen mechs, and even some of the later ones after the whole lawsuit still contained reference to the unseen (they just could not use the artwork) and that is why still to this day we have record sheets (for the p&p game) that are the Unseen mechs (and their varients) that are still legal to use.
Again the holder of the CBT liesence cant use the artwork. This is where the Re-Seen new mechs came from.

As to "Freebirth", your refering to a LAM (Land Air Mech) or what I like to call cheez or munch. LAM's were part of the 1st 2 versions of BT, but they broke the balence and rules and never really fit (this was before they came out with AreoTech rules). But they came into being just as the original mech from Anime. There were 3 types of LAM, The Phawk, Wasp, Stinger. All are staples of the Macross series and then the Robotect series.

All had insane movement in flight mode and could jump in and out of land or air mode with little to no penitalites. They were written out of the rules (although some still use them with house rules) and the minis are cool to look at and paint. They are also some of the most expensive on Ebay. Why they were the main focus of that book is beyond me (hell the whole book was beyond me as it really had nothing to do with the TWLofTC series)

I think your premise is wrong because the authors needed to write about BT within the timeframe and currrent technology of the timeline the book takes place in. Those mechs were the tools of the trade at that time so thats what was in the books. You would not expect to see clan mechs prior to 3050 in the timeline because they had yet to exist (in the IS timeline).
Featherhorse

Post by Featherhorse »

OK, I have read all of the BT novels now. I just finished up the last Dark Age book last week. Buff ain't the only one who won't have anything to do with it, but this is something I wonder about. Over the last 3 years or so, ELH has evolved from just a bunch of Bud's to a team to what could only be described as a military unit. Not exactly a regulation one, but still, the majority of active players were in it for the league play and military strategy and orginization that came with it. The Dark Age books are as different from "Endgame" as the Jade Falcon Trilogy is different from "The Sword and the Dagger". The combat seems to be more realistic, what with infantry and Armor gaining more decisive roles on the field of battle. The combat in DA seems to me, what 'Mech combat should hhave been all along. If the Combat is so much more realisticly balanced, why are so many still so strongly against even reading it?
On the other hand....
Any universe where Devlin Stone can convince the Clans to almost eliminate their military strength, is my kind of place. Just imagine the possibilities. All you would have to do is think a happy thought and POOF!

You could fly.

OK, so my personal review of the books?
Even if you ignore all the impossible stuff, the improbable happenings, and all the damn 'Mechs with wings in the Dark Age, you'd be better off spending your money on an Anne MaCaffrey book. They're OK as far as Sci Fi goes, but their only true value is in the fact I can say, "I have all the BT books!" That's about it. Best one so far, is the latest one about the Jade Falcons. It's the only one I'd say was even close to the rest of the BT series. The first one was OK, but the rest a varying shades of Drek and Drivel.

Fethr
Falker

Post by Falker »

Well I knew I should have got my facts right before posting something like that heh. Tho , it’s nice to know there's Buff here that’s very informative and knows his stuff. :wink: I was just thinking off the top of my head the other day. I knew that I started watching Robotech back when I was in 11th grade in 1985 . I didn’t start reading Robert Thurston’s book " Falcon Guard " until my mid twenty’s . I never knew there was legal dispute about the unseen Mechs , over who owned what and who has the rights etc... It’s good to know tho I guess.

Lets see.

After some research I found out that Robert Thurston’s book Falcon Guard was published in 1991 . As far as I know it was THE first Battle Tech book ever published. It was the first of three books he published that began the Battletech series. It also had drawings of Battle Mechs in the back of the book. I’ve been turning this place upside down trying to find that book. I thought I had it here somewhere , Hmmmm
......... Image......... So Anyway , from what I remember of the drawings there were Mechs of the Hellbringer , Timberwolf , Marauder , Firemoth and the Warhammer. All of which ( excluding the Timber Wolf ) resembled the Ground Mechs units used in Robotech. They were the Mechs either on the SDF-1 shooting from it’s torso , or the Mechs patrolling on the Ground in Macross City.

Also , His story about the Clans was a reproduction of the bad guys from Robotech called the Zentraedi. The Zentraedi were also born in breeding tubs. Cloned from other warriors and only bred for Battle. That’s all they knew . And they also came from deep space trying to conquer Terra . Coincidence ?

ROBOTECH: The Macross Saga publish date was 1985-2004 by Harmony Gold USA

Info Links:

Battletech

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/series/battletech.htm

Robotech

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=102

Eh , it’s too late anyway , at the bottom of the Robotech page it says X-Box has a game version of Robotech. Bahh
We're in the pipe , five by five.