Starshatter

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

Starshatter

Post by Hammer »

free demo...

www.starshatter.com

not too bad, basic space flight sim, could use a bit of work but could be fun as it is. multiplayer of course...

dynamic campaig engine, fighter and starship ops, space and planetary, mission editor...

i know Softball was going to give the demo a try. anyone else?
Helmut
Softball

Starshatter

Post by Softball »

Ordered it. I got the DL and Hard copy is in the mail (Same price as DL so why not? )

It's not perfect, but I liked it enough to buy it. Have not messed around with the MP yet. Need to print the manual though, lots to learn.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

What can you do in MP? If the demo has MP, I'd like to try it.
I got the demo, haven't installed it yet. I still have to try the DW demo!
The Jedi Master
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

demo has MP. not sure if we can play in the same game as SB since he has full version already.

SB,
notice any differences between the demo 3.94 and the release 4.03?

a couple of things that are missing from the game is audio queues - such as radio acknowledgements from wingmen and other ships, as well as general radio traffic. otherwise some polishing and it should be quite a good game!

reminds me a bit of StarLancer - which I thought was awesome. great atmosphere, etc. much better than freelancer, 'cause i like mission based game play and not free lance do what you want kind of stuff - that is not a milsim to me, and i like milsim. this game could do a StarLancer mod...they have an sdk and there already are quite some mods in progress.
Helmut
Gator

Post by Gator »

Just tried the demo - it's great looking. Just played one of the practice missions. Hell to land ... I had it on full "realism" ... would be willing to play the demo MP with anyone who's interested.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

looks like at least Jedi and myself, probably Grifter too...

might be able to get SB to install the demo too.
Helmut
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Um...yeah, gotta remember to install it now. :)
The Jedi Master
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Okay. so we definately getting this? or is IWAR still on the table? Let me know.
Softball

Starshatter

Post by Softball »

I have only played through a few of the training missions so far. There is a LOT to learn. Landings are.......interesting. Reminds me a LOT of Battlestar Galactica landings. I might have to switch to Easy mode and learn the simple game mechanics first. I have been using the mouse / KB for flying around, but will probably switch to my HOTAS as the Throttle using the mouse requires you to zip the mouse wheel back and forth and it's not very sensitive. Takes a lot of "zipping" the mouse wheel during a mission. I didn't play the demo enough to really tell a difference, graphics are the same, controlling the ship is the same. I have uninstalled the demo, but I could reinstall it so we could all play and test it out.

I will say this. When I first installed the Full game and setup my graphics options and such, I clicked the MP button and it froze up my computer. I think however it was my software firewall that caused the problem. I will have to test it again and see what happens. I wanted to see what MP options were available (Coop, TvT, Deathmatch, etc..).

I will post more details here when I have them.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

mission creation guidelines...

http://starshattercentral.com/Core/modu ... fc266d9ec3

grif and i found we can create missions in the demo, seemingly fairly good with no or little limitations... also does not seem to be any limitations on number of players or anything.

anyone want to try this on a night? i know at least grif will create some missions...
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

yep yep. gonna read up on this stuff this weekend and I'll a make a few missions, possibly three as a mini campaign.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i made quite some progress understanding the mission structure and creating missions...

i spruced up my test and it seems to work quite well...

need to figure out events/triggers and then i can probably create some cool missions.

it also looks like we can play a dedicated server with real time campaign in the demo... anyone up for this?
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I would be up to do it, yeah. Does the real time campaign generate it's own missions or do we have to create them?
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

not sure, but in the mission i modified (got the Kill Caesar mission to run - it was created with the full release and some ships are not in the demo so i had to modify it) it did generate its own flights...as well as in my test mission.
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

hmm cool, we'll have to look further into it.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

In my spare time, I'm gonna star making a campaign based on what's available in the demo. Complete with Story line. It'll take me a while, but I'll pull a few missions together to get it started. It will be strictly a fighter based campaign until we can learn how to use battlestars. I'm hoping to get started on it sometime this weekend or next weekend depending on what I'm up to. ;-)