2022 FIFA World Cup

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup

Post by Bones »

They are fighting hard, it's exciting. Pulisic and Adams especially.

What's with the excessive use of the word "ballistic"? Haha

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Bones

Post by Bones »

And Pulisic is the most confident player I've seen in the last few days
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

US plays Iran tomorrow!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Both the Poland and the Argentina games were sweet.

Lewandowski finally got his World Cup goal! And Poland's goalie with that double save on the penalty kick, omg!

Glad Messi and Co finally got their win in! Hopefully they can go all the way since this is most likely Leo's last World Cup.

v6,
boNes
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Its over for us...Tiny mistake will bite you hard in the world cup. Hopefully we make a good showing against Morocco to finish strong.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

0-0 so far in the US vs. Iran game. They are actually showing it on the big tv in the break room where I work!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

I tried to stream it to the big TV at work but it didn't work, so we were watching it on my iPad. Great goal by Pulisic, but I hope he will be OK to play should they (and I hope they do) advance. Too bas about that other one being offside though! That would have been sweet.

v6,
boNes
Bones

Post by Bones »

WOW! Great win!

v6,
boNes
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Good win.... Got a bit squirrly in the end
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Good luck to Poland who plays Argentina today!
Bones

Post by Bones »

IMG_20221130_075450534_HDR.jpg
I'm torn!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

HAHA! Don't make your wife mad now bones!
Bones

Post by Bones »

Well, she might have been if Mexico got off a goal. It was hard for me since I was rooting for both Argentina and Poland (but I leaned toward Poland).

But as they say on youth soccer--everyone's a winner! Participation trophy to Poland...they lost but they still get to go to the knockout rounds along with Argentina, so it was a win-win for me and kept me out of the doghouse with my wife!

This last match though is what also makes soccer so interesting compared to other sports. Poland's fate could have been decided by something other than goals made in their own game--it could have come down to goal differentials and even more wacky "fair play" with yellow/red cards. Makes everything a nail biter. Then you think the outcome could have changed in the other match during POL/ARG match and the coaches would have been informed but how do you get word to your team on the pitch as to how they should treat the rest of the match based on the other match's results. So funky!

v6,
boNes
Bones

Post by Bones »

Well, it was a good run for Poland. They haven't made the knockout stage since the 80s, if ever at all. The way they played the first half was pretty inspiring and made me hopeful. But unfortunately the reigning champions was the better team. Mbappe really had some good shots in.

It's sad that this is probably Lewandowski's last World Cup appearance (same with Messi). At least he finally got his World Cup goal. When it came down to the penalty kick in the last moments of second half stoppage time, I was like, c'mon Lloris, France is winning 3-0. Let Lewandowski have it so that he can end his last World Cup action with a goal. But then again, would it be real then? So in a way I was glad that when Lloris made the save that they called it a redo. When Lewandowski shot again, it looked as if Lloris gave up the goal for that reason, or was conflicted in doing so. But after seeing the replay, I think he really did try to stop Lewandowski even if it was half the usual effort. Either way, Lewandowski got his final World Cup action as a goal, Poland can say they weren't shut out, France got their win and advance, and Lloris can go down in history as being sportsmanlike and honorable.

I'm content.

Now I have to worry about Argentina!

v6,
boNes

PS Japan and South Korea beating Portugal and Spain, now that was crazy in a good way!
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Heh, I said the same thing about the US vs Netherlands game: "well at least the US wasn't shut out".

I'll definitely be watching England vs. France. I'm rooting for England all the way.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I dunno, I have to say France has a pretty strong team. Plus Mbappe. I felt for an instance that he was gonna get a hat trick yesterday.

Looking forward to Dec 9!

v6,
boNes
Bones

Post by Bones »

OMG, that Brazil Croatia match! It's matches like these that make me like soccer/football so much! Some things just go by random chance determining everything!

On to Argentina!

v6,
boNes
Bones

Post by Bones »

And another heart attack for me with Argentina and Netherlands!

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

That was a great game bones.

Today England vs France. I hope England wins.
Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 06:34
That was a great game bones.

Today England vs France. I hope England wins.
It was a great game but it never should have gotten to extra halves. I couldn't believe that the ref added +10 stoppage! If he had done the usual 1 or 2 or 5, Argentina would have had the lead and won it during regulation.

I dunno what it is with these FIFA refs in the World Cup this time--they seem to love to add that much stoppage pretty regularly. I've heard rumors of the FIFA corruption and bribes, y'know...

I'm kinda pulling for France. Mbappe has grown on me, and he's only 23...he may very well be the next Messi or Ronaldo...

v6,
boNes