OOPS!!

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Nemisis

OOPS!!

Post by Nemisis »

Well what can i say.

I had bad accident yesterday, involving an angle grinder and my left middle and index fingers! PDT_Armataz_01_10

I was trying to shape some wall tiles for the arched doorway in my kitchen, so decided the best way to get the curved cut required was with my small angle grinder PDT_Armataz_01_09

To cut a long story short (No pun intended) The angle grinder slipped and started shapping the afforementioned fingers. Luckily the middle finger got off lightly with just some outer layers of skin being removed, but my index finger got cut into just below the first knuckle conecting it to my hand and went deep enough to cut the Tendon on the top of the finger.

So a Trip to the Local A&E at hospital was called for where i waited 2 hours before i got looked at and told it would need stitches (not to bad i said) but after an initial inspection the doctor said it looked like i had damaged the Tendon and it might need surgery, so i had to wait a further 2 hours before an orthopeadic doctor looked at it and he said that the Tendon had been cut and would definitely need surgery to connect the two ends up again.

So after a further 3 hours i finally got admitted as an in patient for the night and got operated on last night.

Woke up at about 23:00 and got put in a ward with several old gentlemen one of which would not stop screaming all night, he was over reacting to whatever was wrong with him as even the Nurse told him to shut up as he was making so much noise (he's been there 2 days and seemingly had been shouting and screaming since he arrived).

Anyway, got let out at 16:00 today (that guy was still screaming). So after 2 days of no food, I last ate on Saturday night and 24 hours of no sleep apart from getting operated on, i am back home with my left hand almost useless as i only have 2 fingers and the thumb free with threst of my hand bandaged and in a splint for the Next 6 WEEKS! PDT_Armataz_01_23

So lesson learned to be more carefull with my tools and very luck not to have lost my fingers all together.

All i can say now is OUCH! PDT_Armataz_01_04
Lose Sight! Lose The Fight!8)
Barrie "Nemisis" Brownlee
[img]http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2690/nemisissignature0xl.gif[/img]
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Holy cow Nem. I hope your fingers heal ok and quickly!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Well good to hear you get to keep the fingers, hope it a; heals up good soon. So ??do you at least get a week off work PDT_Armataz_01_12

Now for next time never ever use angle grinders for cutting tiles, always use a proper tile saw or at least mount the angl grinder so it ca not move and free hand the tole itself. Worked in a tool rental so um ya given enough safety speached to drive people nuts lol

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Grade-Bench-T ... 40&sr=1-35
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

Me to Panz, as although it sounds like i have a six week break from work, i can't do S**t! As i can only use one hand, and Yes i have already tried using my throttle on my X52 and can just about slide it back and forth and even after losening the tensioner on it, its still very difficult as i can't grab it as such. But using the buttons is near impossible, but i am sure i'll adapt quick enough or it's going to be one long boring 6 weeks watching day time telly.

Veg i got a tile cutter like that but it don't cut curves hence the angle grinder.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Nemisis wrote:it's going to be one long boring 6 weeks watching day time telly.

That sounds like quite a horrible fate indeed if day time tv in the UK is as bad and stupid as it is in the US.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
That sounds like quite a horrible fate indeed if day time tv in the UK is as bad and stupid as it is in the US.
It IS trust me PDT_Armataz_01_08
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Nemisis is about to becomes the best customer at his local blockBuster or the UK equivalent video store lol
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

Looks like i will be rewatching BSG Seasons 1 to 3 from start to end again. Oh well HE HE
Falker

Post by Falker »

can you still grab a bud light ? , okay then , whew...

BSG will be on the SciFi channel tomorrow if you get it over there. Happy Healing !
We're in the pipe , five by five.
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

man Nem sounds like a bad one, im in the construction trade so i see stuff like this sometimes.. what type of blade you have on that angle grinder? sheesh... ive actualy used diamond bit dremel tools for cutting tile. but sounds like you had alot to do with a arch....

i know about emergency rooms. spent 6 hours with a nail in my arm waiting for a doc.. got 2 xrays and sent home and had to wait 2 days to have em operate to get it out, it was pinning the muscles togather hehe.

get better soon!
Softball

Post by Softball »

Damn man, sounds painful. Makes my fingers hurt just reading your story. I hope you make a full recovery, I assume you'll be limited to little or no flying for a while? PDT_Armataz_01_16

Get well soon!

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

Well, i will be trying to fly but! since all my Radar controls are on my throttle as well as chaff and flares A/A is going to be troublesome. Actual throttle control is possible with some loss of speed in doing so, so it looks like A-10 is the way to go in lomac.

Tying my shoe laces has become a new and exciting challenge in the mornings PDT_Armataz_01_12 and even telling myself well the least i can do is help the wife out with house work, is also out of my abilities on most jobs as i can't clean dishes, vacuming could possible but very cumbersome when i have to move the machine about as we have a compact vacum not a sand up one. Dusting should be ok though PDT_Armataz_01_01 and i can't take the three dogs for a walk as i can't grab anything with my left hand and controlling three dogs with one hand is nigh on impossible at the moment.

So my wife is going to have a rough time as well with all the work she'll have to do and i think that annoys me more than most about this whole thing, since i feel fine and am fully cabable of moving around but with one hand trussed up the way it is, I'm as good as useless for doing most things.

Shit happens as they say.
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

Falker wrote:can you still grab a bud light ? , okay then , whew...

BSG will be on the SciFi channel tomorrow if you get it over there. Happy Healing !
Probabaly the only thing that is still possible Falker PDT_Armataz_01_12

I have the complete BSG boxed DVD set starting at the Mini series to the end of season 3. So i can have marathon sessions at BSG at the moment and i could also watch Firelfly again PDT_Armataz_01_06
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Nem,
hope eveything turns out allright with your hand.
Helmut
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

Thanks Steel, it will be 6 weeks before i get my hand free from the splint i have but have been told i will make full recovery.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Nemisis wrote: i have but have been told i will make full recovery.
That's great to hear! Will you be able to fly tonight?
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I will be his wingman and have Fraps at the ready PDT_Armataz_01_12
Nemisis

Post by Nemisis »

VEGETA wrote:I will be his wingman and have Fraps at the ready PDT_Armataz_01_12
LOL Pity you cant film me here at the computer trying to fly that would be a lot more fun to watch.

I should be OL tonight but might not stay for as long as usual, If my fingers start giving me trouble. Since despite not being able to move them my brain still tries to and this can cause them to give a little pain after a while , but if it gets too difficult i could stay out of the fight and help you guys as an observer 8O . but if we play IL2 i could just jamm the throttles on full and fly with my right hand .
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Nemisis wrote: , but if it gets too difficult i could stay out of the fight and help you guys as an observer 8O . but if we play IL2 i could just jamm the throttles on full and fly with my right hand .
I can also load up some missions with level bombers and you can be one of the turret gunners! That shouldn't put too much stress on your fingers. :-)
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Don't you have it in a splint to keep it from moving? I would! :)

And people wonder why I don't do work around the house myself...because of incidents like this, that's why! I do my part for the economy and pay someone else to do it!
The Jedi Master