New Rig build

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Stache

New Rig build

Post by Stache »

Need everyone's feedback on building a new rig, reviews on the sandy bridge are excellent my concern is actually what motherboard to pair with it. THoughts?? thanks
Tach Deneva

Re: New Rig build

Post by Tach Deneva »

My primary concern with a sandy bridge is, how stable will it be? Will it be used for crossing a stream? If so, the current will surely soon wash it away! If it's for crossing still water, like a pond or something, that might be okay, but even so, the more you use it the more the sand will get dispersed. Plus, you'll be tracking it everywhere.

PDT_Armataz_01_42
"Shoo! Shoo! Go away! Oh God, he's got a monkey." -- Ms Purple
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

::::::reads Tach's reply................bangs head on desk.....::::::::

lol

I'm actually looking at the AMD 990FX "Bulldozer".....go figure
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

sandy bridge is a mouthful. which technology are you considering within the sandy bridge family? Bromolow? Romley-EP? Romley-EN? single socket? dual socket? ;)

you probably want single socket 1155 or 2011. how much do you want to spend on CPU? mainboard?
Helmut
Stache

Post by Stache »

actually was looking at the socket 1155. From what ive read the 2011 is the extreme version, and the extreme version as much as i would like to have is way out of my price range. Newegg has the 2011 for 600 and 1000 just for the processor. No i was leaning more towards the i5 2500k. which most of the reviews are really talking it up, and as for price for performance seemed to be just as good as the i7.
I just cant seem to find a good review for a mobo. to pair with it, some are saying the x boards while others are talking about z boards, I think I even saw a p designation.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

the i5-2500k is an excellent choice. what you read is correct about pice/performance.

i would get a z68 board, then you can overclock it if you want.

but f you do not ant to overclock, then save some money and get a p67 that supports that cpu.

you can look at genuine intel, asus, gigbyte. those are generally good boards. i think asrock too, but i believe they are more overclock focused.
Helmut
Stache

Post by Stache »

what does everyone think about the new SSD drives. Saw a few setups where ssd's were used as the windows root drive then a second hd for storage. any thoughts? is the performace gain worth it?
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

well that will help you boot faster. after that your performance will be about the same. if you want something that is not so pricey, look at a western digital velociraptor. if you can afford it, get enough SSD for everything. that s pricey.
Helmut
Stache

Post by Stache »

for all that are interested, here is what I decided on.

Asus MB P8z68 deluxe/gen3 lga1155
intel i5 2500k
Patriot 8 gig ram pgd38g1600
WD 1.5 tb hd
MSwin 7 pro
EVGA 01g-p3-1561-ar gtx560 1 gb
sony Blueray DVD writer

I have it setup and running, and its run smoothly since it was powered up. :cheers:
Featherhorse

Post by Featherhorse »

So what was your final Jingle factor?
($)?

-Fethr
Stache

Post by Stache »

yes..

it came in around 1500 total, includes a new case, new power supply, blue ray dvd burner.