new IL2 series?

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hammer

new IL2 series?

Post by Hammer »

did you Rise of Flight people see this in the newsletter?

"We also had an important event occur in this year. Our company has been entrusted with the development of the famous IL-2 Sturmovik series which is devoted to the events of World War II. We are very proud of this opportunity and we hope to succeed in this endeavor. For more information please visit the official site of the new Sturmovik project (www.il2sturmovik.net). We invite you to register on the new official forum of IL-2 (http://forum.il2sturmovik.net) and share your opinions about this new product and your love for WWII flight-sims."
Helmut
Hudson

Re: new IL2 series?

Post by Hudson »

Seriously? That might be cool. If they can revive what has been destroyed that would be great.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

This time I'll be waiting for the reviews FIRST before I buy. I'm not getting burned again but yes, this Stalingrad flight sim seems like it could be great if done right.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Buffalo Six

Post by Buffalo Six »

damn, I almost want to install IL2 on the new PC.......
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

what happened, I remember a while back the guy who made the original was making a new version. but was spending to much time putting extreme detail into every nut and bolt in the game.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Yes, it was called Cliff's of Dover and it sucked tail pipe when it was released. There were like 4 planes compared to the dozens in 1946, had lacking multiplayer, and was just in general complete suck. It was almost completely unflyable performance-wise. They had initially put in a mandatory anti-epilepsy filter that murdered performance. They finally made it optional, which made it flyable on high end PC's (which I did not have at the time) and I hear after the last patch that was not released too long ago that it is actually OK, but I have not looked back since the initial horror show; I was definitely robbed on this preorder, so I'm with Panzer on this and waiting until I see reviews. It will take some fairly shiny glowing write ups to convince me, but seeing as how so many people love RoF (WWI just isn't my thing) I have very high hopes.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Cliffs of Dover works pretty well now but only for single player or if you want to do online dogfights. The online cooperative mode is still messed up.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

you have plenty of time to wait. the IL2 Stalingrad is not scheduled to release until 2014.

I am with you Buff, i was thinking about installing IL2 1946 again and looking for that uber-mod.
Helmut
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

If you guys want to fly IL-2 1946 I am all for it. I miss it a lot.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hudson wrote:If you guys want to fly IL-2 1946 I am all for it. I miss it a lot.

Count me in. I still have it installed.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I have no clue where my cd's for this would even be
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I'm running IL-2 with the latest community patch which I believe is 4.12? I'd be more than happy to host a coop server next week.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

That would be cool.

I think 4.11.1 is the latest though, since it seems 4.12m is not out yet: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=202

Amazing that 1946 is still getting patches though. From Wikipedia, "IL-2 Sturmovik is the flight simulator video game longest supported by its developer with the demo released in 2001 and the latest patch including new planes released in January 2012." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IL-2_Sturm ... ideo_game)

Let's hope ED hangs around long enough to do the same for DCS.

BTW for anyone who has it on Steam you can patch it up to 4.11 just fine, though it is apparently not for sale via Steam any longer. The suspicion from the Steam community page is that it was done to try to drum up CLoD sales, but seems no one really knows.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

I think this might be one of the best features coming in 4.12.

I know how much we all love the current last-person-to-do-damage-gets-all-the-points scoring system