Tablo for us Cord Cutters

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Tablo for us Cord Cutters

Post by Grifter »

Hey everyone,

Looking to up my cord cutting game. I've used Sling in the past and, meh, it's okay for some things like Monday night football. I tried HULU this football and really liked it, but it's just too bloody expensive. For that kind of money, I must as well just have cable. So, I'm going back to seasonally using Sling for Monday night football ($25 a month isn't so bad), and watching Sunday's games live over the free and clear air via my trusty ol' antenna!

But what about DVR option for when I'm away hiking on the weekend and I'm going to miss the big game?! Well, I've been looking at DVR options. I've considered building a DVR Theater PC, but that seems expensive and complicated. I already own a ROKU puck, and the Tablo weds well with that. Add a WD Passport SSD, and I got what I need for a DVR, I think. Does anyone have any experience with this Tablo? Or do you have a better recommendation?

Thanks,

Grifter.
Trichome

Re: Tablo for us Cord Cutters

Post by Trichome »

Hey Grifter - Im not the most tech savvy but my buddy setup news groups (?) on my end. Works great. Wife and I never miss a show....

I program all the shows I like and it downloads them right to my movie/show folder about an hour after they've been out. If you then have plex you can access that from anywhere which is convenient.

I use:
Plex (not 100% necessary)
Sonarr for TV shows
SABnzbd for Movies

I can get some more info from him if needed..... let me know.
Last edited by Trichome on 25 Jan 2022, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

in our end of the US even Hulu is FAR cheaper than any cable.

but for the price of Hulu you can also look at YoutubeTV, supposedly better (at least for us re: channel selection).
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Hi Trichome,

I’m not sure what you’re referring to. News groups? Is this something that you download into your pc? How do you record live TV with it? I’m interested in recording live NFL games from over the airwaves during the season. I would definitely be interested in hearing more. No pressure though. Whenever you get the chance.

Thanks!
Bronurstomp

Post by Bronurstomp »

We canceled cable TV, and only kept the internet service from COX up here in the great white north. That saved us $160 a month. We already have Prime, and Netflix, and so we added a couple others, Hulu, Disney+, ESPN, Peacock, and Sling, and now I rarely have to watch a commercial! But yeah, getting a live football game is always a pain in the neck. Sunday game, Sunday night game, Monday night game, Thursday night game, all different channels. Then there's the post season... SMH.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I don't have to worry about football. 20+ years of sheer ineptitude and mediocrity from the Miami Dolphins killed my interest in the sport.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Most of the games can be watched on those streaming services. But the games on Sunday afternoon require live TV, and I'm often up north backpacking in the fall. So I sometimes miss the game I want to see. I'm going to try Tablo next fall. Should allow me to DVR live TV for relatively short money.