Bones inspired me to do this thread

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Bones inspired me to do this thread

Post by PanzerMeyer »

What is the very first movie you remember seeing in a movie theater?

For me that would be the original Star Wars in 1977. I distinctly remember seeing it in the summer so I wasn't quite 5 years old yet but I have several solid memories of that evening. I remember arguing with my mom because I told her they were putting "gasoline" inside the X-Wing fighters before the final assault on the Death Star and my mom said they weren't really putting anything inside of them and then I replied "duh, yeah they are acting. I know!". I also remember some guy sitting behind me saying in Spanish "usa la espada estupido". This was during the scene in the trash compactor when Luke gets dragged under by the Dionaga.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Grifter

Re: Bones inspired me to do this thread

Post by Grifter »

This was also my first film. I would've been three years old and I saw it at the drive-in in the back of my uncle's Suburban. Darth Vader scared the crap out of me when he chokes the guy to death. And, then I thought, "cooooooooool!"
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Grifter wrote:
18 May 2022, 11:38
This was also my first film. I would've been three years old and I saw it at the drive-in in the back of my uncle's Suburban. Darth Vader scared the crap out of me when he chokes the guy to death. And, then I thought, "cooooooooool!"

WOW. So you have memories from when you were 3? That's mighty impressive.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

I inspired you? I'm a bad influence haha

I remember seeing Star Wars when it first came out at a drive-in that no longer exists but I remember it thoroughly. My parents brought my sister and I but didn't tell us what we were going to see. My mom tricked us into playing this game on the way there where they had put a blanket over our heads and were making us guess what my mom was showing us or where we were going etc. When the game was done, and the blanket removed, the first thing I saw was the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" intro and then boom, the Star Wars logo came on and I was blown away.

I was 5 going on 6 at the time. But that was actually not my first movie in the theatre.

The first movie I remember seeing in the theatre was Jaws. And it was at the same drive in. I was 4 going on 5.

The first movie I remember seeing in an indoor theatre was Carrie. I was 5--see, it hasn't affected me at all, I've turned out normal!

Since it was brought up, my oldest memory was also at 3 years old. They are few but pretty detailed memories of being in the Philippines. I'm quite impressed with that.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Dang Bones. Your parents took you to see Jaws and Carrie when you were a small kid? LOL
Bones

Post by Bones »

Yup....well, my dad did really.

Here is another fun anecdote. When I was 11, I saw Return of the Jedi. I loved it so much (of course) that I wanted to see it again. So I told the theatre guy after the movie that I left my wallet in the theatre and could I please go back to look for it? He said yeah, and so I went and "searched" every row. By then people were coming in for the next showing and it filled up fast, so I easily blended in and sat down and saw it again for free.

Come to think of it...wow, times have changed that I was at the movies all by myself at age 11, huh?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
19 May 2022, 07:17

Come to think of it...wow, times have changed that I was at the movies all by myself at age 11, huh?

v6,
boNes
I've got you beat! Remember that Roger Corman B movie scifi cult classic "Battle Beyond the Stars"? That was the first movie I saw by myself in a theater. I was 8.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I saw "Battle Beyond the Stars"! In that same drive-in!

But no, I didn't see it alone.

Actually, ROTJ was not the first movie I saw alone. The first one was Ralph Bakshi's "Wizards" where I was 5 going on 6. Since it was a cartoon, I think my parents just assumed it was OK for me to see, haha. By that notion, I should have seen "Heavy Metal".

Touche!

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
19 May 2022, 09:26
The first one was Ralph Bakshi's "Wizards" where I was 5 going on 6. Since it was a cartoon, I think my parents just assumed it was OK for me to see, haha. By that notion, I should have seen "Heavy Metal".

Touche!

v6,
boNes

That reminds me of a great story Jedi told me once where he saw a bunch of parents with their kids in the theater when he went to see the South Park movie. I guess the clueless parents assumed because it was animated it was fine for kids?
Bones

Post by Bones »

Well, in this say and age, they may have been fine with it too!

v6,
boNes