Extremely watchable campy/cheesy movies

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Extremely watchable campy/cheesy movies

Post by PanzerMeyer »

You guys know what I'm talking about: movies that have an overall campy/cheesy aspect but yet are very entertaining to watch due to some positive factors. I'll list my top 3:

1. "Flash Gordon" (1980)

Max von Sydow's iconic performance as Ming and the truly awesome score by Queen make this movie quite watchable.

2. "Battle Beyond the Stars" (1980)

George Peppard as a space cowboy and Robert Vaughn as a seriously dark loner. Plus some really creative ship designs and aliens.

Oh, and John Saxon ALWAYS plays a compelling villain.

3. "Magical Mystery Tour" (1967)

This is a must-see movie for any hardcore Beatles fan and I really do emphasize "hardcore" here. PDT_Armataz_01_14

The plot makes zero sense but the music is great.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Re: Extremely watchable campy/cheesy movies

Post by Bones »

Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn
I think this needs no introduction. So over the top but funny at the same time. When I worked at Blockbuster video, the VHS for it had the negative reviews posted on it! How great is that?!?

They Live
Who can complain about a 7.5 minute fight to wear sunglasses? Or to chew bubble gum and kick ass, but be all out of bubble gum?

Tapeheads
I love this movie. It's so campy and cheesy but hilarious in a sleeper sort of way. My favorite part is when John Cusack and Tim Robbins have to do a sobriety test. Scroll to 2:00 unless you want to see Fishbone play (who played in the first Lollapoalooza in 1991 and also add to the campiness!)

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Heh, I've never heard of that Tapeheads movie. "They Live" is a sci-fi cult classic and that ridiculously long fight scene between Keith David and Roddy Piper is the stuff of legend.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Yeah Tapeheads is a very sleeper movie, came out in 1988 or 1989. Weird Al makes an appearance in it. It's great because it is about the rise of music videos in the 80s. There is one point that they do a commercial for Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles and I've never heard of chicken and waffles before that so I often wonder if that movie gave rise to that concept.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 11:24
There is one point that they do a commercial for Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles and I've never heard of chicken and waffles before that so I often wonder if that movie gave rise to that concept.

v6,
boNes

As Spock would say, "fascinating". It seems chicken and waffles originated in Pennsylvania in the 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_waffles
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Big Trouble in Little China, starring Kurt Russel. Believe me when I say that I know what Jack Burton always says...

Bones

Post by Bones »

Grifter wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 15:05
Big Trouble in Little China, starring Kurt Russel. Believe me when I say that I know what Jack Burton always says...

YES!

My brothers and I want to go to ComicCon as those mystical martial arts dudes. I want to wear the lampshade on my head!

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

LOL!!! In Elden Ring there are a couple of characters you encounter who wear a helmet that looks very much like a lampshade.