Poland

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

Poland

Post by Bones »

Today while driving home from Warsaw i noticed lots of Polish military vehicles passing us by, then a Polish Air Force SW-4 flew over us at about 50 ft AGL. It was kinda cool. Must be some exercise.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Re: Poland

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Yeah that would be my guess as well. I know you are staying with your in-laws but overall how's your experience been with the general public in Poland? Do you find Poles to be reserved, outgoing or somewhere in between?
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

It depends on where you are. In Warsaw and Krakow where it's more cosmopolitan, people are more open and outgoing than in the smaller towns, like the village my wife is from. Here in the ville, people are more conservative, quiet, and keep to themselves. I'm pretty sure I'm the first Filipino who's ever been in this town, which dates back to 1400 or more and you can tell by the indiscreet stares i get. But I've been here so often i think that they are used to me now and just expect it's that time of year again when they see the Asian guy.

But they are still nice to me, and i don't do anything to upset them or their culture. I think that respect is mutual.

v6,
boNes

PS in case people wonder what an SW-4 is:
SW-4_Puszczyk_5683.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 11:19
It depends on where you are. In Warsaw and Krakow where it's more cosmopolitan, people are more open and outgoing than in the smaller towns, like the village my wife is from. Here in the ville, people are more conservative, quiet, and keep to themselves. I'm pretty sure I'm the first Filipino who's ever been in this town, which dates back to 1400 or more and you can tell by the indiscreet stares i get. But I've been here so often i think that they are used to me now and just expect it's that time of year again when they see the Asian guy.

But they are still nice to me, and i don't do anything to upset them or their culture. I think that respect is mutual.

v6,
boNes

PS in case people wonder what an SW-4 is:

SW-4_Puszczyk_5683.jpg

That was both a very informative and hilarious post bones (ie "the Asian guy"). PDT_Armataz_01_34
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Cool helo. I always love the Purina logo! :)

I havent been to Czech Republic before but I was told that during Warsaw Pact years, most people in general were very closed off to foreigners and that crime was almost non existent. After the wall got torn down, people became much more open but crime had risen. This was many years ago someone told me this. I hope to go there some day. Finished the 3rd season of Jack Ryan on Amazon a few months ago and most of it took place in Czech Rep and was filmed there.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Cr33p3r wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 04:04

I havent been to Czech Republic before but I was told that during Warsaw Pact years, most people in general were very closed off to foreigners and that crime was almost non existent. After the wall got torn down, people became much more open but crime had risen. This was many years ago someone told me this.
Crime rates also dropped precipitously when the Nazis took over Germany in 1933 and when Stalin took over the USSR in 1929.

I think that speaks volumes on human nature if you ask me.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Very good point Panzer.
Bones

Post by Bones »

That Purina logo was one of the first things i saw when it crossed over us.

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

The Rebel Alliance in the original SW trilogy also used the Purina logo for their rank insignia!
Bones

Post by Bones »

Some more interesting things I saw there. UH-60 Blackhawks flying around, a few NATO C-17s and a USAF C-130 landing over us. Not all at once, but that's alot more aircraft than I'm used to seeing in a few days.

v6,
boNes