Interesting war/military trivia

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Interesting war/military trivia

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I came across this interesting tidbit while reading about the Battle of Shiloh and some other related ACW events,

Aug. 2, 1956
Albert Woolson. The very last authenticated Civil War veteran to die was Albert Woolson, a Union army drummer boy from Minnesota who died on Aug. 2, 1956, at the age of 109 years. Woolson, who never saw combat, was the last member of the Grand Army of the Republic and the organization dissolved following his death.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Re: Interesting war/military trivia

Post by Cr33p3r »

Interesting. Was the grand army of the republic the one that was created by fight the rising threat of the separatists?

BTW based on a lot of things you share, I can tell that you're very well-read in military history. You would have loved the elective I took in college for fun my last semester. Covered military history from Agincourt through the first gulf war (which had just ended). I now know who to go to with my military history questions! :)
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Cr33p3r wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 07:33
Interesting. Was the grand army of the republic the one that was created by fight the rising threat of the separatists?

BTW based on a lot of things you share, I can tell that you're very well-read in military history. You would have loved the elective I took in college for fun my last semester. Covered military history from Agincourt through the first gulf war (which had just ended). I now know who to go to with my military history questions! :)
Thanks for the compliment Cr33p3r!

Concerning the "Grand Army of the Republic", I think it had a catchier ring to it than "Army of the Potomac". :D PDT_Armataz_01_14

Oh and speaking of military history, I had the privilege of having this guy for my college classes on WWII and Asian Civilization. He was fantastic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_L._Dreyer
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Very cool. I'm so glad I took a fun different elective away from my nerdy engineering classes. This is my professor who is still teaching and I graduated 32 years ago!

https://www.clemson.edu/cah/about/facul ... tml?id=414