My review of "Napoleon"

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

My review of "Napoleon"

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Ok, so I saw "Napoleon" today and I think I've organized my thoughts well enough to finally post my review. My head is chock-full of observations so I'll try and make this review as concise as possible.

First of all, "Napoleon" is not a war film even though several battles are depicted. So in that sense, "Napoleon" is in the same vein as other films like "Barry Lyndon" and "The Duellists". If you have seen those two films you will know what I'm talking about. In contrast, the 1970 film "Waterloo" is indeed very much a war film because the battle is front and center and the focus of the plot.

As far as I could tell, there are two distinct driving dramatic narratives in "Napoleon". Firstly you have the big picture covering the politics and military campaigns and secondly you have the tumultuous relationship between Napoleon and Josephine. In fact the very final frame of the film closes out the latter narrative in a very poignant and compelling manner.

Let's talk about the battles. What's in the film and what isn't that maybe should have been? The film has amazingly well shot and choreographed set-pieces for the Siege of Toulon, Battle of Austerlitz, Battle of Borodino and naturally, Battle of Waterloo. There was about a 10 minute sequence covering Napoleon's campaign in Egypt but it felt a bit rushed to me and the Battle of the Pyramids felt more like a dramatic beat for the story than any recreation of the battle. What's not in the film which maybe should have been is the entire naval aspect. No Trafalgar, no Copenhagen, no Nile, etc. There was also not even any mention of the Peninsular campaign. In the end though, I need to realize that this was a 2.5 hour film and only so much can be covered so I keep my criticism on this aspect to a minimum.

Concerning the performances, I really do think Joaquin Phoenix should at least get an Oscar nomination for his performance. He was compelling in every way imaginable. The on-screen gravitas was there in spades. I also liked the actor who portrayed the Duke of Wellington since the writer was faithful to history in that respect. Wellington certainly came across as a crotchety, formal and emotionally distant Englishman. Vanessa Kirby was also quite compelling as Josephine. I didn't know much about this actress beforehand but she was very well cast for the role.
On a scale of 1-10 I give the film an 8. Some of the historical inaccuracies bugged me a bit but the bottom line for me is that the story was dramatically compelling. I actually found myself feeling some sympathy for Napoleon in the final few minutes of the film (if you know the history you'll understand why) but I think it was really Joaquin who sold it me with his amazing performance. In one scene he would be a total bastard and in another scene he would have me inspired. That to me, is the truest sign of a great actor.
Last edited by PanzerMeyer on 04 Dec 2023, 04:40, edited 2 times in total.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Re: My review of "Napoleon"

Post by Cr33p3r »

Awesome review panzer. My wife and I saw it and really enjoyed it. I didn't enjoy the cinematography and battle scenes, of course not knowing a lot of history about them. Them. It was very enjoyable and I'm glad it did show the battle of Waterloo. I thought it was a better film than what a lot of critics said. It also did not feel that long to me. Great acting, great wardrobe also. I also felt that it showed France at a challenging moment in its history, which also gave me more perspective on the politics and the changing government.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Thanks creeper. Concerning France being at a "challenging moment", that is absolutely correct and also why I fully expected the film to start off with the French Revolution and more specifically Robespierre's "Reign of Terror". You cannot understand why Napoleon rose to power without understanding those prior events.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Oh I did really enjoy how smart Napoleon was at using infantry, artillery and cavalry at different times of the battle. He didn't just fire everything at once, he waited until strategic times to use the different forces. Really cool and glad this was represented. Those kids of decisions really made for a victory or defeat in many battles like Agincourt with the archers staying involved. The more I think of this film after seeing it the more I enjoyed it.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Cr33p3r wrote:
05 Dec 2023, 07:08
The more I think of this film after seeing it the more I enjoyed it.
I'm glad to hear this!

Nothing official yet but apparently there will be a 4 hour "Director's Cut" version released on bluray eventually and it may also be shown on Apple TV. Needless to say I'll buy the bluray as soon as it is available.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

"The Duellists" Say what? I have never, ever run into anyone else that knows of this film! This is the Napoleonic period tale of two cavalry officer in the French Army, yes? It is absolutely one of my favorite films ever, but it has been many years since I have seen it.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Hammer wrote:
18 Dec 2023, 20:30
"The Duellists" Say what? I have never, ever run into anyone else that knows of this film! This is the Napoleonic period tale of two cavalry officer in the French Army, yes? It is absolutely one of my favorite films ever, but it has been many years since I have seen it.
Yup, it's an outstanding film and I have it on DVD. It was also Ridley Scott's first feature film.

Since you like "The Duellists" so much I highly recommend you give "Barry Lyndon" a try.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Funny how Ridley Scott's first feature film was "The Duelists" and Steven Spielberg's first feature (albeit a made for TV) movie is "Duel."

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Ridley's first three films are "The Duellists", "Alien" and "Blade Runner".

Not a bad start to a film directing career I say!