Amazing historical ironies

This is the general discussion area. Everyone is welcome, but you must register to post.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Amazing historical ironies

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I was reading about Robert T. Lincoln (one of the sons of Abraham Lincoln) today and found out that he was nearly accidentally killed on a train platform during the ACW. Who saved him? This guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Booth

Incredible how certain events transpire.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Re: Amazing historical ironies

Post by Bones »

Well, there is this one irony where PVT Tandey from the British Army in 1918 during a battle, had his sights on an unarmed German soldier who was wounded and trying to get to safety, and he declined to shoot him, sparing his life. He didn't know it at the time but it turned out that the German was none other than a Lance Corporal named Adolph Hitler.

Hitler claimed to remember the incident, being grateful that his life was spared.

But there has been alot of back and forth about whether or not the story was true, or misconstrued, or manipulated. You can see the debate here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-28593256

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 09:18
Well, there is this one irony where PVT Tandey from the British Army in 1918 during a battle, had his sights on an unarmed German soldier who was wounded and trying to get to safety, and he declined to shoot him, sparing his life. He didn't know it at the time but it turned out that the German was none other than a Lance Corporal named Adolph Hitler.

Hitler claimed to remember the incident, being grateful that his life was spared.

But there has been alot of back and forth about whether or not the story was true, or misconstrued, or manipulated. You can see the debate here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-28593256

v6,
boNes
No hard evidence has ever been found of that incident and besides, how could Hitler claim to have remembered that incident anyway? Did he claim to see the British soldier who was aiming his rifle or MG at him but hesitated to fire? I'm 99% sure this incident is urban legend.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Yes he did claim to see him, to the point of recognizing him in the picture. But, if you look at that BBC article you will see all the debunking evidence.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Now here is some very interesting Hitler trivia that is 100% accurate. This always surprises people when I tell them about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Stuart-Houston

So Hitler had a relative who served in the USN during WWII.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Oh, yes, I've read many articles about that.

BTW, back in 2012 we saw Hitler's parents' grave. It was odd because we also saw pictures of Hitler visiting the site when he annexed Austria and it was weird standing in the same spot as him.

Well, we found out later that they moved the grave to a secret location to deter neo-Nazis from paying homage there. So we were glad to visit it when we did!

v6,
boNes