control features in Arena Commander (AC) and my observations

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

BlackHawk*K

control features in Arena Commander (AC) and my observations

Post by BlackHawk*K »

with the new version of AC out. there are some differences from the old version.

joystick play is a bit more refined. i use my MS sidewinder pro 2 stick just fine at this point. the setup is still clunky and you still dont have the ability to clear a binding in the setup.

here is a video of some of the new features they included in the new AC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... i_JOQk#t=1

i have NOT tried many of these features.

there are some things that were from the previous version of AC that we should be aware of.

coupled or de-coupled flight, G-safe mode, and Comstab.

even though this video is older, it covers what these are, and what they do.
( its good to note, that the new AC, Comstab is default OFF.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoOw7PhG-9o

just from my experience with a joystick. i prefer to have Comstab off. the drifting aspect of it, seems to make me a little harder to hit. however, if you do race mode, i recommend having Comstab turned ON. with Comstab off in Race mode, i find that i tended to drift into the buildings on a constant basis.

( a note on Comstab in dog fighting. while having Comstab off may make it harder to be hit, it may also be hazardous due to the drifting aspect of it. what i found is, if you realize you about to drift into an object, if you hit your Booster you will increase your forward motion much faster and will help you avoid collisions. this tactic seems to also make it harder for you to be hit as it acts like a slingshot motion. the main caution behind this, even with G-safe enabled, it can and will cause black out or red out if used too much.)

ship modification.

i realize that almost all of this is my personal preference and observations. but, im going to put it in anyways! :P

you can modify your ships using the HOLO table. at this point there is not a lot you can do because of 1) lack of ships you can strip and setup depending on what you own, and what is flight ready. and 2) we have no in-game currency to really buy things yet ( i guess you can buy EUC but not sure the point, except to maybe buy other weapons at this point... and most likely until they get PU economy up and running, i dont believe its worth it.) what you CAN do, is modify some weapons on your ships or the trainer ships.
( at this point, i found that you have to do this every time you load up the game, it dosnt seem to save the load out after you shut your game off.)

this is a very old video of the HOLO table, but the function is still the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ejq6opgtd4

well, if you plan on messing around with SC i hope some of this helps! if anyone finds anything note worthy, please add it here.

<S>!
BlackHawk*K

Re: control features in Arena Commander (AC) and my observat

Post by BlackHawk*K »

i should also note that, in the HOLO table, you can also modify your weapon attachment points. if your a mouse user, i would recommend the gimble mounts. but, if your a JS or game pad user, use the fixed mounts unless you have some way to move your gimble mounts.

thought i would throw this in there :)
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

I believe you can also lock your gimbaled mounts to work like fixed, correct?
Helmut
BlackHawk*K

Post by BlackHawk*K »

yes you are correct. the main reason i brought this up is that the M50 has gimbled mounts on the wings. however they will only allow size 1 weapons. if you mount the fixed mounts. i believe it will allow for size 2 weapons.

i havnt run across a problem with having different fixed mounts so far. but, i guess the gimbled weapon mounts can be weapon size restricted.