Snowfox 03-08-2022

Post AAR's and video footage of missions and sorties here.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Xpendable

Snowfox 03-08-2022

Post by Xpendable »

Here's my after action report from Monday Night.

Target was 2 remaining APC's. My first loadout was 2x AIM-9's, 2x AGM-122 sidearms, 4xGBU-12 (Laser guided) 500 lb bombs, TPOD, and GUN pod. I departed from Khasab and turned west for the target. We quickly realized there were 2 nearby SA-11 SAM sites protecting the target area. One of our guys was able to take out one of the SA-11's with a HARM. Apologies, but I'm not sure who that was that took it out. The other SA-11 was still operational. Believing that the SA-11 threat was removed or suppressed, I pressed on. I targeted one of the APC's with the TPOD and dropped 1 GBU-12. Target was destroyed on first past. As I began slewing, my RWR lit up with a SAM launch and I got a radio call warning me of a missile. I popped chaff and flares but was completely destroyed 1 second layer. Ouch!

Second sortie, loadout almost identical except I traded the 4xGBU-12's for 4xGBU-54's. These are JDAM/Laser-guided bombs. This time I setup a target point for the known location of the remaining SA-11 site. I had planned to fly on the deck and then do a JDAM "loft" on the SA-11. Unfortunately, a pair of MIG-21's saw me approaching the SA-11 and get on my six. I was literally pulling up with my finger depressing the pickle button when I got blown out of the sky by a MIG-21. Doh! I had hoped my bomb was released before I got blown up, but unfortunately this does not seem to be the case. SA-11 lived to fight for another round.

Third sortie, loadout almost identical to the 2nd loadout, but this time I left off the gun-pod. I decided to attempt another JDAM loft on the SA-11. Enemy air was still causing a problem around the SA-11 but one of our guys was in the area and helped dispatch those problems. I went in for my strike. I know I was asked how close I get before I loft. That's a good question, I'll have to review that in the video to see how close I got... Looks like I started pulling up at 2.2 nm. I wait for the drop accuracy "percentage" number on the HUD to start climbing up before pulling up and releasing. The trick is to start holding the pickle as the number approaches between 90-100 as close as possible before holding pickle. It takes about 1.5 seconds for the coordinates to be loaded to the JDAM and then the bomb will be released automatically (assuming you continue holding the pickle button throughout). So you get in range, pull up and start pickling at the approximate time, bomb releases, then hard bank and dive back to the deck in case there is a launch. Got confirmation from our team that my bomb knocked out the SA-11. Yay! Found the 2nd APC with the TPOD, dropped another JDAM with the laser on for good measure. Shack! Mission complete. Headed home and was getting chased by some enemy fighters. I was directed to fly towards the carrier group, which launched a ridiculous amount of missiles at the enemy fighters. Finally they got taken down and I was able to make a safe landing back at Khasab for my "burger". LOL!

I know it says "error" below, but you should still be able to click on the embed to get the video. Let me know if you can't.

https://player.twitch.tv/?video=1418917 ... play=false

Bonus content... here's the Tacview of my JDAM loft...
Bones

Re: Snowfox 03-08-2022

Post by Bones »

Weird anomalies all night. Check out Grifter flying with wings folded. For some reason video didn't work but we also fired 2 Phoenix missiles pitbull off the rail at 2 bandits from 5 miles away. The 2 missiles were guiding, but even at mach 4 could never catch up with the bandits.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot