Snowfox 071322

Post AAR's and video footage of missions and sorties here.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Cr33p3r

Snowfox 071322

Post by Cr33p3r »

Got one kill at least:

Great teamwork flying CAP with 3 A/G elements!
20220713212931_1.jpg
Burning runway
20220713212931_1.jpg
I had a lot of fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Xpendable

Re: Snowfox 071322

Post by Xpendable »

Dropped multiple times on what I thought was the AAA ZSU-57 at Bandar Abbas. The first time, my 500 lb JDAM (GBU-54) slightly missed the tank (it may have moved after I targeted, or I may have not been as precise as needed when picking the target from my TPOD. That first bomb did 16% damage to the target. I was subsequently hit by presumably the very same SZU-57, but was able to fly home with minor damage.

On second attempt, I dropped 2X 500 lb JDAM's on the same target. I could not actually find the tank at the designated coordinates but picked up something else that I thought was the tank. It had 2 long barrels and it looked like a turret of some type. It was roughly near where the coordinates were, so I selected it with the TPOD and dropped. Both bombs hit the target, but no kill was registered. I watched the bombs hit from the weapon view. Two large plumes of water shot up when I hit the target, but no kill or damage registered. Well that's odd...

https://clips.twitch.tv/TenderCarelessL ... u2Kq2Llc0v

Then BAM, I got utterly annihilated from AAA from presumably the same SZU-57 that I just hit.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AntediluvianWea ... vbUVdJQQiA

Getting a fresh jet, this time I focused on the 2-4 targets listed for Hardvark/Hava Dairy/Havadarya. I found 2 rocket launchers at the coordinates and hit them both. One was a little off and didn't fully get destroyed on the first pass. Made a second pass and took that one out, too. Made a quick recon and confirmed both units destroyed:
Screen_220713_213158.png
Went back to Bandar Abbas to try to take out that SZU-57 again. Dropped 2 more 500 pounders right on the target, saw 2 more water splashes and no explosions - and got hit again from AAA, taking out my engine. Ejected near the coast, and that wrapped up the night.

In studying the stream footage, I discovered that I was indeed targeting the SZU-57. The SZU-57 does in fact have twin barrels in a turret:
ZSU-57-2_Hun_2010_02.jpg
What I believe happened is, after the tank took 16% splash damage from my first hit, it drove itself into a waterway and got stuck. The body of the tank was submerged in water, but the turret is sticking out, and apparently still able to fire! The reason I can't destroy the tank is because the body is underwater and the bombs are essentially recording as misses on water. Thanks, DCS! I'm not sure we're going to be able to take this tank out. Maybe if we get a direct hit on the turret?

Full stream here (but I stopped streaming after getting blow up by the SZU-57 so I could watch the stream to confirm my bombs were fused (they were) when dropped. I never restarted the stream, so didn't capture my successful drop on the SA-2's.

[urlhttps://www.twitch.tv/videos/1531163248[/url]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Xpen - thats definitely weird. Ill keep an eye out for that ZSU. Im may try a flight today. See if I can get a pic of it. I didn't see that vehicle marked with a label on that portion of the runway when I did a BDA so I will double check that. There is 1 ZSU near the other end of the runway.

Ill update once I do a fly over.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

If I can get in there with an Mi24, i may be able to get that ZSU. I did this from a safe distance previously near the harbor entrance. Just need to CAP to sneak in. :)
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

xpen.JPG
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

Hahaha, hilarious. I also did not see a label, and it's possible DCS suppresses the label for something that is underwater. I am also not sure if this is the ZSU that took me out (twice!) or if there is another one we did not notice.