Training Night - Admin and ATC 101022

Post AAR's and video footage of missions and sorties here.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

Training Night - Admin and ATC 101022

Post by Bones »

Great job tonight guys. EVeryone did well trying to form up and stay together as a flight. When we decided to check out the bandit, we did so as a group and also elected to let the AI F-14s take him instead of rushing in to attack a bandit just to find him already shot down with us being low on fuel and close to SAM threat rings.

Then we made a good decision to abandon tanking in favor of RTBing since new bandits were headed our way, which would put us in a greater fuel state under duress of 2 bandits.

We came back as a group for the most part, or attempted to anyway. Flying the visual approach to Ramat David RWY 9 was new to everyone, and without a chart it is difficult at first.

I have included the chart here for your knowledge. You can add it to your kneeboard files, usually at C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS\kneeboard\FA-18C_hornet (or whatever aircraft you want it for).

Tonight we flew the runway 9 visual approach, specifically KISHON entry. If you look at the chart, there is a triangle to the northwest. That is the CRP (compulsory reporting point) for the Kishon entry/exit.BLue arrows are for entry, red dotted lines are for exit. You can estimate where the KISHON CRP is by using the chart to identify landmarks around it. You can see it's southeast of a tiny lake or pond, or southeast of a river that runs south. It is also west of a populated area (the yellow region).

OR, if you have the capabilty you can program a waypoint into your system. The upper right of the chart has the lat/long for each of the CRPs. Kishon is the first one.

So what this chart is telling us is once we get to the KISHON CRP, head 169 from the KISHON CRPand when you get RWY 9 in sight, start your turn to final for RWY 9. There is a CRP on the way onto the runway so you must report that you are in the initial for 9 (it is labeled as such). Per the chart, you fly up the runway until about halfway then you make your break to the right into the downwind and fly a right hand pattern all the way to landing. Breaks are done at pattern altitude (800 ft AGL) at 350 knots. WHilst in the break, go idle and boards, drop your gear below 300 KIAS, drop flaps below 225 KIAS and once on the downwind, descend to 600 AGL. Fky the rest of the right hand pattern.

Another example: Let's say we get cleared for AMOS LAKE entry RWY 27. WE use the chart to find the CRP right off of Amos Lake or we program the waypoint. From there, we fly 343 and then turn 268 to intercept the final to RWY 27. 350 KIAS, 800 AGL, we fly halfway up the runway and make a LEFT HAND break to the downwind, follow left hand traffic to land RWY 27.

Get the jist?

So good job all. We do need to get better at finding each other and maintaining the formation. Some of the elements got ahead of the rest, some behind. What we really should have done before hand was decide on a rally point, even if it's at the tanker (which it is normally). I hope you got a better feel for ATC as well. Remember to call THEIR callsign, then WHO you are WHERE you are WHAT you want. Sometimes tower will request you repeat all radio instructions in full. If not, at the very least acknowledge by answering with your callsign IF you heard and understood them and can comply. If you can't comply say "unable." If you missed the call don't be afraid to call for a repeat.

OK, let me know if you have any other questions.

Video here:

v6,
boNes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Grifter

Re: Training Night - Admin and ATC 101022

Post by Grifter »

Awesome summary! Thanks, Bones. Makes total sense. Will add the chart yo my knee board. Got any more?
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I had a lot of fun as well although I seemed to be getting lost quite often. I was never more than 3-4 miles from you all I think.

here is a video I posted in the screenshots section of you all flying the break and landing (from Trichome's perspective):

Also finally upgraded my bandicam so I can now speak and be heard on my own videos (new in the latest version).

I'll be back in a helo for CAS on Wed night moving mud and taking names!
Bones

Post by Bones »

BTW I just realized that in my break, I broke over RWY 11 instead of RWY 9. Oops. But I did land on the correct runway.

Also wanted to point out that one reason why Creeper was having a hard time finding us was the DL was weird. Sometimes elements of our flight would show up, sometimes it would not.

Another thing. When in the break as a flight, keep your intervals. You don't want the guy in front of you to break, then you break and end up in front of him. Everyone should be in the same order in the pattern and land in the same order. Otherwise we are risking a mid-air collision. Fun doing the break as a group though, huh?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I had fun. IT was a good learning exercise.

Your explanation above and actually seeing the chart helps it all make sense. WE should try from the other CRP next week?