Liberation 110922

Post AAR's and video footage of missions and sorties here.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

Liberation 110922

Post by Bones »

CAP Mission, Tomcat:

CAS Mission. Bombcat:

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Xpendable

Re: Liberation 110922

Post by Xpendable »

I have no video to show (forgot to hit record). My spawned loadout consisted of 4 mk82 conventional bombs and nothing else. I decided to add another 4 making it 8 total, because I knew I was going to miss a few times. I was tasked with destroying 3x T80 BTR's. You would think 8 ought to do the job, but I only killed 1 and damaged the other 2 with splash damage from subsequent drops. I rolled in for 8 individual drops. Grifter was my air cover and successfully tangled some bandits that would have been a real problem for me if he hadn't been there. Thanks, Grifter! Much appreciated!

Since I didn't take the TPOD, I was attempting to use the Harrier's DMT (dual mode tracker). My first drop was my one and only direct hit, and that was largely because the BTR was at the exact coordinates setup for the target point and I was able to hit DESG (designate) to point the DMT at the target. I dropped in Auto mode which means I just fly a straight line and hold down the pickle 5 seconds before release and the plane releases at the right time.

As soon as that bomb hit, the other BTR's moved out of the way. I did another pass and dropped another on Auto at the next target not thinking through the fact the BTR moved. Hit sand. From that point on I was struggling to aim the DMT as the 2 sets of slew controls I have configured were screwing with me. I have a 2 axis analog index control on the throttle mapped as the analog TDC (target designation controller). When I used that to slew the DMT, it would slew in unexpected diagonal directions making it very hard to get the cross hairs on the target. I also have an 8 way hat also configured as the TDC to use as a digital backup. Slewing with was impossible because it would slew in 50 foot increments only (for some reason). More on that in a bit.

Anyway, I rolled in 6 more times, without much success. Actually I rolled in more than that as I had to abort multiple times due to not being able to get the DMT on target. Frustrated, I dropped a few bombs in CCIP mode without much success. One hit maybe 8 feet away from a BTR and did no damage. I did get one hit with 36 percent damage another at maybe 22 percent.

Now Winchester and getting lowish on fuel, it was time to head home. Successful vertical landing accomplished back at King Hussain and the end of my mission.

Posted about my DMT slewing problems on the Razbam Discord. Got an answer like 30 seconds later. "Were you maybe in INS mode and not TV mode"?

#facepalm.

Yep, pretty sure that was my issue! The lesson to learn here is I need more practice with the DMT! Ironically, I did just practice with it yesterday morning and on the weekend, but I forgot to switch to TV. Doh!

Anyway, I had fun despite my DMT struggles. Now that I know what I did wrong, I should have better success next time.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I enjoyed last night as well. Glad we may be taking a FARP closer to the front lines. the 60 mi ingress was a lot. :)

My 30mm gun attack on a BTR late in the battle. Getting better at gunning. Much easier actually than the unguided rockets.

Also, in my single player Liberation campaign, I took a Mi8 low and sneaky to take out a Hawk battery. I had some success until an Israeli F15 took me out. This was last Sunday afternoon:

Bones

Post by Bones »

Xpendable wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 07:45

Yep, pretty sure that was my issue! The lesson to learn here is I need more practice with the DMT! Ironically, I did just practice with it yesterday morning and on the weekend, but I forgot to switch to TV. Doh!

Anyway, I had fun despite my DMT struggles. Now that I know what I did wrong, I should have better success next time.
Looks to me you have your work cut out for you for Monday night training...!

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Bones

Post by Bones »

Cr33p3r wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 09:31
I enjoyed last night as well. Glad we may be taking a FARP closer to the front lines. the 60 mi ingress was a lot. :)

My 30mm gun attack on a BTR late in the battle. Getting better at gunning. Much easier actually than the unguided rockets.

Also, in my single player Liberation campaign, I took a Mi8 low and sneaky to take out a Hawk battery. I had some success until an Israeli F15 took me out. This was last Sunday afternoon:

The pleasure you get from attacking and killing NATO and US targets makes me....uncomfortable. hahahaha

v6,
boNes
Bones

Post by Bones »

Come to think of it, Creeper, it's a good thing you made that gun run when you did. If you happened to do it at the time my GBU hit, you would have been toast.

v6,
boNes