Liberation Syria 11302022

Post AAR's and video footage of missions and sorties here.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Xpendable

Liberation Syria 11302022

Post by Xpendable »

Tacview clip showing my JDAM ripple on the 4 SZU-23's. I couldn't see them at the time as they were obscured by clouds. Perfect application for JDAM weapons.

I was also going to show a Tacview of my earlier runway incursion accident. H4 (Apparently the label for that airport) is a single runway with no parallel taxiway. So my AI friend was back taxing down the runway to turnaround and takeoff into the wind. I did not know that and assumed he took off. I also ignored the winds which was probably laziness on my part. This also explains my longer than expected takeoff roll, coupled with a rolling takeoff instead STOL takeoff. The technique is different between the two, as is the length of runway used. Rolling should not be confused for a conventional takeoff, which is another option. Vertical takeoff not an option with full fuel or otherwise any condig that is heavy (and coupled with ambient temperature and elevation impacts). Anyway, I usually use STOL but last night attempted rolling with a tailwind. (In a hurry I guess!) I didn't see the other Harrier until it was too late and I was already partially airborne. He was at about the midfield point. My right outrigger landing gear hit him and spun his plane slightly to the left. He ejected 2 seconds after. I had an unsafe indication on the right outrigger but no other cautions. I struggled to climb, however, and should have ejected. I did climb some. I did a quick external F2 cheater inspection and saw the right outrigger bend back. I attempted to circle back for landing but lost altitude and clipped a fence and cartwheeles into a crash.
Bones

Re: Liberation Syria 11302022

Post by Bones »

That's the kind of realism I love, except when AI causes stupid things to happen whether it's their fault or not, heh.

This is where LotATC would come in handy. I didn't start it up until later on in the game, but I was able to help Grifter find an emergency landing location and vector him to the runway with it. Maybe someone doing ATC/GCI would be helpful, but of course who when that person I'm sure would want to fly too!

My MiG-29 kill, because of the clouds, I never even saw. But it was pretty satisfying what with the know-how to get the missile deployed and seeing technology do its job.

I really liked having the weather impact things like this, made it more real and interesting. I looked at my files and I don't have approach plates for Syria, I will have to look for some!

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Bones

Post by Bones »

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Great link. As suspected there is no ILS or charts for Kalalala. So I was on my own anyway ha ha. Glad you all talked Grifter down though!

It was fun to jump back in the FA18. If was confident enough, I would have taken the M2000 but I'm getting there.

My F18 takeoff, climb, looking to to Trichome above, and the Mig29 kill:

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

The flying through "pea soup" experience last night was uh quite interesting to say the least.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Xpen that video is great! Very cool GBU spread!
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Great job with those GBUs!

I liked the weather. I might just adjust it so it doesn't start at 50 ft....lol.. maybe a couple thousand feet? If it wasnt for George the helo would have useless (for me).
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I enjoyed the weather being different and giving us something new to work around / solve. I am sure you know that the clouds move now. When I took off from Krispy Kreme / H4 it was socked in with rain / reduced visibility. On my return to landing after my successful drop, the clouds had opened up around the airport like an eye of a storm and I was able to get in with no rain or cloud cover. There were clouds within 2 or 3nm all around, so it was lucky timing!
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Trichome wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 11:27
Great job with those GBUs!

I liked the weather. I might just adjust it so it doesn't start at 50 ft....lol.. maybe a couple thousand feet? If it wasnt for George the helo would have useless (for me).
Yes please change it to a couple thousand feet. 50ft is just overkill IMHO.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I realize my issues with the Mi24 are actually rooted in the engine anti-ice switches I operated. They take 20% of the power so I just didn't have enough power to get off the ground and it didn't really have to do with the weather. I should wait til I'm airborne or get a warning before engaging them. also, I always fly Mi24 as VFR so flying by instruments is still quite a challenge to me in the helos.

Regardless, Petrovich can't see his hand in front of his face so I would not have spotted any targets to hit in that soup unless there happened to be a break in the clouds near the target.