Quick Hop with Trichome 120122

Post AAR's and video footage of missions and sorties here.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

Quick Hop with Trichome 120122

Post by Bones »

Quick hop with Trichome exploring avoiding our HARMs getting shot down by SA-15s:

I had been suggested to that the SA-15 is the main culprit for shooting down ordnance. They are made to be short range, fast firing, SAMs and they ave 8 missiles. SO you either overwqhelm them with HARMs, decoy them with TALDs then hit them with HARMs. Not having those options, then you go in NOE and pop up inside of 5 miles to deliver a quick HARM shot. The HARM is high speed (Mavericks are relatively slow so they get shot down easily by them) and at a close distance, it is harder to shoot them down. So the premise of this exercise was to try that tactic out.

It seemed to have some credence to it. I fired (2) HARMs using this tactic and they hit really close to the SA-15, but the SA-15 took no damage. I suspect that is a DCS thing. It shoudl have gotten splatter damage at least. But they were not shot down, though the SA-15 tried. His missiles always missed. Note also that as my HARM strikes the target, its rocket motor is still firing--that gives it a lot of speed and energy to deliver the blow. IN one instance the HARM hits at nearly 1500 KIAS!

Trichome attacked from a different angle with the usual tactic, delivering from high. THey were getting shot down but one hit close enough to give the SA-15 critical 66% damage.

Then we got attacked by MiGs, but we survived...2 MiGs did not.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Cr33p3r

Re: Quick Hop with Trichome 120122

Post by Cr33p3r »

Awesome Intel on how to hit them.
Bones

Post by Bones »

It's very dicey though! Pucker factor up, kill ratio down haha.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Lets close this by saying I then ran out of fuel on the way home and crashed into the drink.... PDT_Armataz_01_22