wHAT'S gOING oN?

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

KODIAK

wHAT'S gOING oN?

Post by KODIAK »

I was up in a quick mission I've made - Pacific; Mossies, Typhoons, & Spits versus Me109s, FW190s.
First thing I noticed - you can't chase 'em, they're just too fast even tan any of the Spit or Mustang variants!
Secondly - they appear to be more capable, at altitude or at their limits.
Thirdly - on return, most aircraft were told to go around (prob cos I'd crach landed on the airfield - somewhere! LOL) But they all (mosquitos & typhoons/tempests)insisted on crashing into the same piece of mountainside one after the other on go-around! :shock: :?
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

There's really not much "I" in the AI in Il-2.
The Jedi Master
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Well, I'm going to test out me against the Spits, Mustangs flying an FW190 and Me109, see if I hold higher top end. But I really don't think that will be the case, cos I have even noticed my own wingies and flight members are able to fly faster than my aircraft. Something tells me there's more to it than choice of slower aircraft. :? :(
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

make sure you have the advanced engine management turned off in options. if you have it turned on, the ai knows how to do it and you are not doing it (manifold pressure, mixture, prop pitch, etc.).
Helmut
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Actually, I think the AI always has it turned on, no matter your settings. I think they can use that to go faster and accelerate quicker compared to you, because in identical planes the AI gets better performance than you 100% of the time with EM off.
The Jedi Master
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Okay guys. I'll at very least check that out on my settings anyway. I might find something. But I find it strange you should say that Jedi, I was under the impression that the latest patch had eradicated all those little AI advantages in order to achieve equilibrium and a fair fight?

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

The AI will always fly by different rules than human players. That's why so many IL-2 fliers only play online against other humans. I've gotten used to flying against the AI since I do a lot of solo/offline campaigns and single missions.

Name me one flight sim where the AI planes fly by exactly the same rules and restrictions as human players.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

That is, of course, a very good point, Panz. I guess, it's just more noticeable in iL-2 because being a prop sim, you are pretty limited in your performance. And it's easier to see someone beside you walking faster than you are than it is say to see the difference between two people in a car with one driving faster than the other - if you catch my drift.

Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

They have, supposedly, the same FM, but that doesn't mean they're using the same rules. :(
The Jedi Master
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

They have, supposedly, the same FM
Yes, and with that comment I took them to mean, exactly that . . .flying by the same rules! Obviously, I was asking a little too much there, eh?! :shock: