Dingers

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Hudson

Dingers

Post by Hudson »

If we are going to play with them more often, I need to figure out blasted takeoffs.

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D joystick. It has 12 buttons x,y,z axis plus the throttle control. I've enabled every realism option there is, since that is apparently how they play.

When I take off,

I hit lock the tail wheel (only since I learned about that today, and that makes it better, but it still sucks)
Hold the wheel break down
Flaps to takeoff
Start the engine
Automix
Autopitch
throttle to 75%
release wheel brake
plain starts to roll (much straighter with the tail wheel locked I might add) but it's still all over the damn place...
And with the realism cranked so high, it is very common to torque over shortly after take off, spin, and die...
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

the only thing they play with enabled that we don't is complex engine management, engine overheat, and no map icons. none of those affect takeoff.

you can try pulling back on the stick until you get to a decent speed, that will help keep the tailwheel (now locked) more firmly into the ground until you are almost ready to take off. see if that helps...

can you use you twist handle for rudder control? or is that the problem you are having?
Helmut
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

The part that affects take-off though, is that WOF usually starts in flight; they seem to start on the ground. That affects it...

I have to try some tips Grifter gave me in an email. I do have a twist handle, but it seems difficult to get a fine enough control to keep the plane from swirving all over the damn place......
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

yeah - we started doing air starts when Kodiak started joining us - no rudder control.

the twist is difficult for rudder. did you see my recommnedation for the x45? it has a rocker on the throttle and works well for a rudder. that is why i will never get an x52 - they went to twist on that one.

can you swing the x45?
Helmut
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Actually I have an answer. Rudder trim. It jams it at whatever you set. I can fly fairly straight down the runway now... Need a little more practice but with ctrl-x and ctrl-z I am managing a high percent of takeoffs versus deaths...
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

You might also try adjusting your joystick settings in game. I'll see if I can dig up the link for you.
Softball

Post by Softball »

I use a twist rudder, and I tend to swerve down the runway. I do manage to get sorted out after I get enough speed and get the tail wheel off the ground (Push forward on the stick at 100kts or so). With my HOTAS (Top Gun Afterburner II) I have the option to use a rocker switch for rudder, but I prefer the twist function.

Hope you get it sorted out Hudson.

I really enjoyed our flight with the Dingers squad last night, hopefully the feeling is mutual. I look forward to flying with them again.

BTW, Steel, how did you find this squad? Just curious.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

it is mutual, i have gotten PM's from two of them at SimHQ. they would like to have us along whenever we feel.

if we have planes that we like to fly that fit with Mosquito's (if we don't want to fly Mosquito's) then let me know here and they will create missions for us - or we can ask Panzer to create a DCG campaign with appropriate planes. They also use DCG...

i posted this thread at SimHQ:

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards ... 4;t=005286
Helmut
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

Nice one! Well, in that case, even though I end up falling asleep a lot at the mo, am going to get a bit of practice in for take-offs. See if I can find a cure until I can get my paws on a decent set of rudders. One thing I didn't realise was the tail wheel needed locking down. :oops: Dude, I learned to fly using tricycle format landing gear - how the hell was I supposed to know!! :lol: :roll:
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05