Taking the PE-2 plunge

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

letterboy1

Taking the PE-2 plunge

Post by letterboy1 »

First of all, sorry I'm missing Friday night IL-2. Yesterday I didn't even know where everybody was and I didn't really feel like flying with the Dinger squadron because it was too laggy for me last time (I prefer the more cozy feel of just the WoF flyers).

Anyway, I've just bought the PE-2 addon. Still wondering how Capitol One will handle the pounds to dollars conversion, but it went through so I guess it's okay.

I'm setting things up so I can bounce back to the previous version if need be. I'll fly the addon tonight and take some screenshots for you guys if you're interested. If I read the forums correctly, the addon includes a Burma map that was made using that new-fangled elevation method. That is what pulled me in.

Okay, that's all for now. Happy flying.
letterboy1

Oops.

Post by letterboy1 »

Apparently I misread the posts about the Burma map. It's coming with the 4.06 patch. Oh well, I'll still tool around with the PE-2 tonight.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

cool... let us know if you see anything outstanding. for most of us, the pe-2 is not an add on we would fly anyway. it is great that you are setting up so you can fly both versions...
Helmut
letterboy1

PE-2

Post by letterboy1 »

Heh heh, I didn't even get it for the PE-2. I got it for what follows . . . the Burma and Slovakia maps. Heck, it was just a matter of time so I figured I'd get it when I had the extra money.

One thing I find a little disappointing about this addon; it's the first third-party product that will be a pre-requisite for future official patches. Oh well, Oleg and company have given more than enough free stuff so I won't complain much. :)
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

i agree, except for the price and the ubi/boonty crap... 3 addons at how much each? not for a 2+ year old game.
Helmut
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

If it becomes the thing to do, I will take the plunge with the rest of you guys.
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
letterboy1

PE-2

Post by letterboy1 »

All good points Steel, but I've liked where the addons took me and found them worth the price. And Boonty . . . well, everybody has their version of this invasive crap these days. Fortunately I used the work-around and now I own the PE-2 addon as a set of files like we are used to getting them from Oleg.

Which brings me to a proposition. What if WoF members each purchase the PE-2 addon but don't download it? Instead, download my [uninfected] files and use them instead. We will each have legitimately purchased the addon with receipts to prove it. As a squadron we will have retained our honor while bypassing a useless adware scheme.

By the way, here is a link to the screenshots I promised. As I said before, the new Burma and Slovakia maps are slated to come in the next patch from Oleg and crew . . . so no new elevation map method thingy as I previously thought. False alarm, sorry.

http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb ... 3&t=003564
letterboy1

Hello? Is this thing on?

Post by letterboy1 »

So, any opinions on my proposition? The one from my previous post.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

well, i am not sure you will get far with that...

the idea is great and something we would do if everyone decided to get it.

1) for me personally, i don't really care for bombers (i might if i actually tried them!) and most feel the same (i think...).

2) i personally despise the way it is being marketed. there are plenty of examples of add ons that do not need a previous add on to be MP compatible. this is a last cash cow excercise they are going through by requiring the previous for the next. another whole game worth of money...

3) boonty - 'nough said there.

post a poll and lets see what everyone says?
Helmut
letterboy1

PE-2 addon

Post by letterboy1 »

Steel, you're probably right. I can imagine people not feeling comfortable with this arrangement (especially with me being new). I suppose folks will buy it from Ubi when they're ready. And besides, in time Ubi may rethink their Boonty approach. :)
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

well, let's see what folks say...
Helmut
KODIAK

Post by KODIAK »

I'm not comfortable with a software download option to be honest! Is this mod/add-on available in CD/DVD format?
It is not the technique that wins a fight, but the more furious mind - Kodiak WOF

You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question! - Gen Honore, New Orleans Sep 05
letterboy1

Pe-2

Post by letterboy1 »

Kodiak,
So far Ubi have only made it available as a download via their Boontybox download and installation program.
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

Yeah, unless you live in Russia. :shock:

Myself, unless there's a compelling reason I'm not going to bother.
The Jedi Master