Armed Assault Demo is out!

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Armed Assault Demo is out!

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Armed Assault Demo

A playable demo for Armed Assault offers the chance to try out a portion of an island from Bohemia Interactive Studios' new military shooter in any of the three multiplayer modes. The 846 MB download is available on 3D Gamers, ComputerGames.ro, FileFront, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Softball

Post by Softball »

I'm curious is the demo is in English, and how it runs on everyone's system.

I have playing the full Czek version, using patch 1.01 and the English conversion 0.8 patch. FPS could be better, but the terrain detail and in game graphics are pretty good, much better than OFP.

I'm waiting for the English release version to see if the fix some of the bugs and physics problems.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Sure thing Softball. I'm downloading the demo now and I will definitely try it out tonight. I'll post my performance/frame rate results tomorrow. I'll run FRAPS as well so I can get some concrete numbers.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

So Jedi Master and I played the demo last night. We both got a rude awakening by how poor our frame rates were. I had to put all of my graphics options on "normal" in order to have a playable frame rate. The demo comes with 1 Coop mission and it was certainly lots of fun but Jedi and I ran out of soldiers before we could accomplish all the objectives. LOL.

Is the M4 Aimpoint supposed to have so much kick when you fire it in single-shot mode? It seems to me that the kick is a bit excessive.
Softball

Post by Softball »

Were you able to figure out that you can zoom in on the Iron sights, Acog scopes, etc..? I think you hit V for Iron sights and then hold down the RMB and it will zoom in on the iron sight. Pretty cool.

I'll have to check and see what settings I am using and compare to yours.

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Softball wrote:Were you able to figure out that you can zoom in on the Iron sights, Acog scopes, etc..? I think you hit V for Iron sights and then hold down the RMB and it will zoom in on the iron sight. Pretty cool.

I'll have to check and see what settings I am using and compare to yours.
Yes, you hit "V" to go to optics view and then you hold down the right mouse button to zoom in on the scope. I still hate how much kick you get though even when you fire single shot! Jedi and I tried that COOP mission a couple more times but we still lost all our men! Grrr..
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

what weapon??? M4? it does have some kick - if you had to estimate, how much rise would you say you get out of the barrel when you fire?
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Steel wrote:what weapon??? M4? it does have some kick - if you had to estimate, how much rise would you say you get out of the barrel when you fire?
Yes, you get the M4 Aimpoint in the mission. I'd estimate probably about a 2 inch rise after firing.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

that is plausible, but my experince with m16a1 and m16a2 give a barrel rise af about 1 inch. not sure if the m4 has more or less kick to it.

Buff???
Helmut
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

I'd say the game gives you the kick you'd expect someone off the street to have. NOT the kick that someone who's been trained in the use of said weapon over several months and learned to compensate would have.
There's only so much compensation you should expect to have to do.
The other problem is a real gun kicks BACKWARDS. F=ma and all that great physics stuff. The gun only goes up because that's how your arms tend to move, and that's why you can learn to limit it.
The sight just jiggles so horribly much that I'm limited to pretty much shoot, count to 3, shoot, count to 3, and so on. A 3-round burst is out of the question. When you're prone it should be less, too, but it doesn't seem to help at all.

I remember one of the OFP mods made the guns kick this bad, and we didn't play it much as a result. Can't recall which one, though.
The Jedi Master
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

sorry... ;)

"NOT the kick that someone who's been trained in the use of said weapon over several months and learned to compensate would have." - how would you know? i fired them for years...still kicked as much as they did the first day - except m16a2 does kick less due to the heavier barrel.

"a real gun kicks BACKWARDS: - wrong, unless you consider the m16 series to not be real firearms. the m16 series has much more upward kick than rearward - the rearward is adsorbed by the buffer and buffer spring. there is very little kick into the shoulder. other weapons, such as bolt action however... :D

i think the 'jiggling' is supposed to represent breathing. however a soldier does learn proper breath control. that is one thing i was not liking about the wgl mod last time we played - too much wavering of the sight that was not controllable (at least not that i know of).
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

pwned. PDT_Armataz_01_12
Gator

Post by Gator »

this gets back to that old reality vs. playability balance that each dev needs to consider. getting shot probably hurts like a mofo, but I'm sure none of us want it modeled accurately in-game.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Gator wrote: getting shot probably hurts like a mofo, but I'm sure none of us want it modeled accurately in-game.
Interesting that you bring this up. Of all the games I've ever played, I feel that the effect of "getting shot" was most striking in the original Ghost Recon. I dont know why, but I always felt like I was getting shot for real in that game. I think it was the "thud" sound effect of the bullet hitting your body. PDT_Armataz_01_13
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

While I've never fired an M16, every gun I have fired only kicked up because that was the natural reaction of my arms getting pushed back by the shot.
The recoil is 180 degrees from the direction of bullet travel, that's physics. Of course the internal mechanisms are going to alter that somewhat as they move carrying the bullets around, and on full auto you can forget aiming accurately, but in ArmA the gun is inaccurate after ONE round. You fire, you count to 5, now you can fire at the same target again as your sight is finally back on them.
If this is anywhere near accurate, the Army would have belted Colt in the mouth for making this gun as the 3-round burst would be TOTALLY useless outside of a range of 10ft. It might as well be a bolt-action rifle because that's the ROF you have if you want anything approaching accuracy outside of 100m, and everyone I've spoken to who's fired a real M16 says 200m, with NO scope, is not hard at all.
Being unable to hit anything over 100m WITH a scope is just ridiculous.
The Jedi Master
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

3 rnd burst is pretty useless in real life. you can count on first round hit, and maybe second. that is about it. they did not belt colt in the mouth for it either. ther is as much to be said for suppression as there is for actual hits.

flash suppressors/muzzle breaks have as much to do with recoil and muzzle rise and any amount of 180 degree recoil. and i said you can not compare most wealpons to the m16 series due to the buffer/buffer spring arrangement. it really is unique and reduced felt recoil a LOT.

i would say one round every 3 seconds is about right - to regain sight picture - that is if your target is in the same vicinity. if not, it can be even much longer than 5 seconds... you CAN squeeze the trigger more often, but it will not be accurate.
Helmut