Dawn Of War Maps/Stragities

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

VEGETA

Dawn Of War Maps/Stragities

Post by VEGETA »

Ok I have not had much time to look for new maps but do know they are out there. I was wondering if there is any maps anyone has tried and liked and would like to share. Maybe we could make up our own map pack that has maps we liked, or even made ourselves. I am thinking of trying out the map editor myself in the near future as well.

Also I did some looking, again not much but came up empty on strategy guides and such, and was hoping you guys had found some decent strategy guides and such.
Softball

Post by Softball »

I messed around with the Editor last night for a bit. I think I'm going to need some kind of tutorial. I was completely lost in the editor, but I did manage to DL a bunch of maps that people have made. I need to test and see if everyone needs the maps installed as well or will they be transferred over to the client computer. I will test out the maps I have DLed so far (About 10) and see which are worth keeping. If they are, I'll zip them up and post a link. Most of the maps are about 1-2 MB each.

As far as strategies go, I sometimes read the Relic forums and people will post some strategies there. For the most part, we just have to sit down and figure out what counters what. Once you figure out the counters and how the AI thinks, then we can adjust accordingly.

Here is a debrief on a 4 1/2 hour mission (OMG!) I had last night.

-------------------------------------------------
I played a DoW mission last night, and on the map I played on had NO "artifact" capture points, so no SUPER-UBER units. The mission was 4 1/2 HOURS long, I started it at 10pm my time and ended at 2:30am! I ended up losing the mission by about 30 seconds. I was playing as the Imperial Guard and the computer was the Tau. When you play as the IG, there is a LOT of micro management involved. With the 20 point vehicle cap, I was only able to build 2 tanks and 3 Artillery vehicles at one time. Sucked.

My saving grace was the 6+ squads of fully upgraded soldiers, a couple of medium tanks and missile turrets. I would say we had a back and forth stand off battle for about 2 hours. I had about 1/4 of the map in resources and the computer had 3/4. I have determined that those Tau Kroot riders with guns mounted on the backs are TOUGH! I found that the best way to defeat them was retreating and firing and funneling them into a missile barrage with missile turrets.

I had finally built up enough defenses and units in this middle of the map, that I let my soldiers and missile turrets fend off the AI. While that was happening, I built up a small army of 2 tanks and 3 artillery tanks, with a General and squad of troops (The General has an Airstrike attack). I did this 2 or 3 times until I was able to break through the AI base defenses. The biggest problem I had with the AI was those damned Kroot riders (They are tough to kill and do a LOT of damage), so I destroyed the Kroot shrine and then the Kroot barracks on the first attack. On my 2nd trip back (I rebuilt all the same units), I used my tanks as the lead assaulters (and fodder, they could take a few hits) and then once I had view of the enemy base, I used my Artillery to start destroying the Tau Barracks, then I started bombarding the Tau HQs (The AI had 2 HQs, bastard!). I destroyed one HQ and then succumbed to enemy fire (The enemy base was surrounded by resource turrets and those Tau artillery units).

By this time, the AI had broken through my frontline defenses and were now wrecking havok inside my base. I had to regroup and push them out as best I could. The AI got me down to 1 Vehicle barracks, 1 troop baracks, my HQ and a few scattered misslie turrets. I just kept cranking out troops as fast as I could, rebuilding both troop and vehicle barracks as fast as possible (The number of buildings determines my unit cap). I ended up fighting him off and quickly rebuilt my tank army used to destroy the buildings in his base previously.

I knew the computer was weak at this point, so I quickly made my way back to his base to try and wipe him out. I thought I had enough defenses built up to defend my base, but he brought in 4-6 of those Kroot riders into my base and started his onslaught. I made it back to his base and started attacking the last HQ building(It was now a race). His 5-6 Kroot riders did more damage to my troops and base than I could do to his. I had his HQ down to about 1/4 damage when I finally lost my HQ. Game over.

It was one of the most exhausting and exciting missions I have ever played and without an artifact resource point on the map, it made for a very strategic and long fought battle. The computer I think had more of an advantage than me, as he knew the exact moment I would pass by or try to take a resource point on the map. It's like this alarm goes off on the AI when a resource point is under attack and the AI instantly sends a counter for whatever unit I had there. I was getting frustrated at times, and saying to myself things like "that's BS" etc etc. A human player would be hard pressed to be able to keep up with that kind of alertness.

------------------------------------------------

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

First, just found this

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=646784
its a warhammer game, which is different form warhammer 40k. Warhammer is more midevil style of fighting.

Well I have not got any maps yet downloaded, any sights you recommend this. As if Say you, me and gator get a few maps we like each, theres the ELH (yes I am ELH biosest sue me PDT_Armataz_01_12 ) Map Pack for ourselves.

Did a missions as Eldar against the AI last night on standard on a star style map. Basically all spawn points separated and only connection through one center area, with a somewhat narrow opening where your area narrower to where the center open area is. So a great area to defend at the opening. The AI was set to random, so no idea what he would be. I fortified that opening with max turrets as fast as possible and finished last turret jsut as he hit me with a commander and some tough squads. He was Nemesus so fun fight. Between my 3 squads and turrets I managed to take him out be lost 3 turrets, 1 squad, most of the 2 other squads and the lisining post. If he had a extra tough squad I was done. After this just rebuilt, and went to take points over the map as he was not going for any in the areas next to me. built up to my MAX nit size including the bonus of making that big red deamon, meaning a extra squad and tanks. I had at least 10 squads ready to be built waiting for me to lose units as I hit him with everything. Me managed to take a good amount of units out, but I always had backups coming in. Took 10 min to completely overwhelm his forces and get to his base, thank god it was not moving or firing yet. Took it out and it was over, but he took out at least 1/2 f my original force in doing so. If it was not for having extra squads ready to go, he would have had me.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

don't get out much do ya Veg... :)

phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10711
Helmut
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Never saw or remembered the post man lol
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Did another battle last night, this time I was eldar and the random team ended up being Imperial Guard on Standard. I was kind of disappointed as they built very little, just troops relay. I did have to fend off LOTs of troops but that was not relay that hard. they never upgraded to any tanks or any other fun toys on standard. when we play standard and 2 vs AI its a Bitch but really it has not been near as hard when on standard with just me VS AI. there has to be some form of leveling there that makes the AI some what challenging against your depending on team sizes.