Supreme Commander Demo out!

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Ok well I found a good review here

http://pc.ign.com/articles/765/765601p1.html

they loved it.

what dose everyone who played the demo think tho. I may just grab it on my lunch hr here lol as after work got to rush the dog to training PDT_Armataz_01_12
Gator

Post by Gator »

i liked the demo. It's big and not frantically paced. The "economics" look complicated - in a good way. I'm looking forward to it. I should have it myself in the next day or so.
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I well have it in 30 min lol. The EB on the way home has it in and I am stopping in lol. tho I have dog training classes tonight so can't play tell later lol. but hey the firls love the dog which means they come over and talk to me so hey its all good PDT_Armataz_01_12
Softball

Post by Softball »

I will be ordering this soon, very soon...

Next week MLB 2K7 comes out for the X360, that's on the top of my must get list for this month. Can't wait!!

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I got it last night but only had time for a quick skermish. to be honest the economics an't bad at all, you need 2 things power and mass (mass = metal basically, gotten from specific points on the map). It would be recommended to make LOST of generators tho, as more powert he better. also make storage for mass and energy as you can stockpile it. but if you are LOW on it all you still build as it comes in just slow.

Graphics where cool tho the interface is a bit interesting to say the least. Love the fact you can some in to almost the 1 tank or out to the entire field. I don't think we have as many units as we did in Total Anilation. but we still get a HELL of a lot for this style of game. The gun ships where very fun to say the least, grouping them with tanks and go attack, the gunships got there first ofcorse (flight is fun) and started hammering things a distance form the main base while the tanks moved across the BIG map. And the fun part is I did a small map and it was still massive.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Videos
http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/755/7 ... ids_1.html

The game Cinematic is here. Figured some may like to see this.
Gator

Post by Gator »

i have it now also. Maybe we can skirmish later so that we can learn without getting rushed by the AI.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I would be game form some skermishess. I am going to pick a team and stick with it I think. Easer to learn one straight through then learn al 3 lol.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Ok a little review after some extended play. I have done 2 1/2 games now, 2 short ones on my own and 1 with Gater vs the AI that we had to abandon as it was 12:30 and we both had work today.

First WOW when it says you need mass and energy they an't kidding. You want to build as many generators as possible and collect as much mass as possible. The level 3 Energy to Mass converters are worth it as you just build power planets around them and let them make mass. Upgrading to level 3 mas processors (I think thats there name, they drill for it). the level 1 stough is reletivaly cheep but level 2 is a LOt more expensive, level 3 WAY more expensive and the level 4 toys are well just ya empty the bank account now. I am talking the difference of neading say 5 generators to needing 30 and such. It takes a lot of resorcess to go higher tech, so you will not really be building any special buildings besides the factories, generators and mass toys for a while.

Now once you get a grasp on your economics, you need to make a army and upgrade things. I recommend upgrading the mass extractors one at a time to level 3, this is a good move but thye don't produce mass when upgrading and are a little expensive (eveything is expensive) to upgrade. Besides that your BIG guy can be upgraded to biggery toys but WOW when you upgrade him you take a HIT in power. I had a 6000+ in power which is after all my stough was taking, and a upgrade on him droped me to -1500. so if you can storage of poer and mass is recomended as if you need a LOT is a short time, if you have stockpiles of it you are good else you can reduce construction to a snals pace.

As for the army, I pretty much skip over level 1 tech stough and build lots of level 2 and 3 toys. I also managed to make a few level 4 toys but these are extremely powerful and extremely expensive. So never even think about these until you got the power and mass to do it. Ther eis a good selection of units, for sea, land and air, and each has specific roles. Gunships for example great got hitting ground targets, there is air to air fighters, anti air tanks , standard tanks and da da da da da. So you can make some interesting and fun armies. Hell I built a naval base and find out the AI was in the other body of water, no problem, my destroyers can walk across the land (VERY slowley) and go play on his watering hole. the point is you can coem up with endless stragities about how to deal witht he AI/Human. The AI lst night beat a combined force of land and air forces form Gater and myself. this including one of these BIg land walking level 4 spiders. His AA took out Gaters aircraft, and I don't even think he had a unit above level 2. so even having the biggest baddest units don't mean you will win.

In the end once you get things figured out tis a very interesting and fun game, but the rounds can take several hr's on a BIG map. I have played my 2 full games on small maps and with AI on easy. Gater and myself would have won against the normal AI if we had more time last night. Just more forces required. but if you like Stragity games this is one you want to pick up. Its more complex then say the C&C series, Dawn of war and such. But is aobut there with total annihilation which this is based on. but compared to those other games the maps here are MASSIVE, and I an't kidding. but hey Big map means more interesting things you can do, and doing several prong attacks is a bit more interesting.
Gator

Post by Gator »

veg got it right - it was interesting and with right units/strategy, we would have eventually won. You have to have the right counterattack ... his flak thinned my herd verrrrry fast.
Falker

Post by Falker »

I picked this up last night and started to mess around with it this morning. What a hog : P .... I started the play the Greens guys campaign to see what they had to offer. The Wave or whatever...So I’ll be messing around with this for a few days , sometime later I’ll see if you guys are hosting one up. Dang , now I’ll need to upgrade my computer to see what this game is supposed to look like. It’s 2 years old already.. boooo , it’s going to cost me about 2 or 3 bills so hopefully uncle Sam can help me out with that. Whelp, back to the game!
We're in the pipe , five by five.
Falker

Post by Falker »

Cool the game isn’t laggy like that demo I down loaded and the graphics Do seem better. Also the Hud at the bottom doesn’t have a huge gold bar surrounding it and that’s better too. The controls are about the same I guess , I haven’t had the time to check out everything yet. I wonder if I got a patched version of the game or just a bad demo last time. I did hear that there were a few bad demos of this game out there. Anyway this game sure can soak up a lot of time. :)
Falker

Post by Falker »

Supreme Commander v3217 Patch

Size: 20.66MB
Downloads: 1,880 (W: 1,880 - D: 1,723)
Hosted since: February 23, 2007, 9:29 pm

Description: * Support for Direct2Drive download version enabled. * Several color, prop, texture, normal map and effects adjustments throughout the game. * Several animation and animation speed adjustments throughout the game. * Note that Build 3217 does not include an update to GPGnet. Current GPGnet version is 1.5.52. * Add open/close slot functionality. * Fix observer button appearing/disappearing. * Chat history should now only display the senders name on the first line of every message. * Fixed an issue with the chat window that was making the allies and all buttons function incorrectly. * Pausing the game then opening and closing a menu that pauses the game will no longer unpause the game. It will remain paused until the user unpauses.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_17957.shtml
Gator

Post by Gator »

falker - i found a patch on gamespot.com that allows you to shrink and drag/drop the UI elements ... if you can't find it, let me know and I'll post it up later. I know a lot of folks have not liked the size of the GUI .... that would seemt to address it.

Look for me on later if you want to get online with it. I'd be interested.
Falker

Post by Falker »

Oh Wait !!

Oh I blew it ! , I could have posted this patch up in a New post ,.... And MAYBY! It could have made tomorrows headlines on the front Portal page lol. Damn it Jim ,.. it’s too late now , So what the heck , I’ll keep an eye out for the next patch. :D

Thanks for the invite Gator , im going to play SP for a few days first to get the hang of it. :wink: Oh!, .. You know what I was thinking of today was , is if you could save your online games? That way I wouldn’t need to sit down for 3 to 4 hours to mop you guys up lol. Well , it would be nice to play for an hour or so at a time , and then come back and finish it another night. That could be in the next Patch , we’ll see.

Forgot: Thanks for the GUI patch update.
Falker

Post by Falker »

Does anyone know what --.scd-- file is to be removed from the game date folder, there are several of them there.

This is what the patch note says.

Saya's UI miniaturisation and draggable UI blocks MOD.
Version 1.2.1.

requirements
---------
tested for supreme commander beta .54, demo and the final version

install
---------
extract the zip
copy 1_uiminimod_saya.scd file in gamedata

uninstall
---------
remove the .scd file from gamedata

content
--------

A miniaturised UI for supreme commander including awesome draggable UI blocks.
Click on the Red Alert Button to enable UI dragging. Click again to lock the UI.

updates
--------
-Fixed the economy bars
-Made the options menu draggable
-Changed default layout

-Made the economy bars draggable
-Added a Dragger Enable/Disable feature
-Made The Construction panel draggable independantly from the minimap

-Fixed critical bugs

-First Version
Falker

Post by Falker »

Sooo.. do I just extract the zip , copy 1_uiminimod_saya.scd and then drop in my Supreme Commander game date folder ?

Then it sys remove the .scd file from gamedata

Does that mean that im supposed to remove a .scd file from the Supreme Commander Game data folder ? Because all the files in that folder are a .scd file. Has anyone put this patch in yet?
Gator

Post by Gator »

I think you remove it to "uninstall" it ... Haven't tried this myself, as the UI doesn't bother me.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Ok the game is only what less then a week and u guys are looking at mods lol. I would be worried about beating the AI first lol. Also Falker you said u had 2 year old pc, um mine is 4 years old and runes it, tho when I get those 100 tanks moving, 80 odd gun ships on the go and some ships man it wa sa sideshow.

and you Uncle Sam (he an'tt my uncle, he hates people like me) only giving me 650$ back as I am not considered a resident yet. I am still temp resident and temp resident get screwed on taxes, we even have to file via mail. And H&R block who did my taxes even charges a lot more for us to. I would have gotten close to 1500 is I was considered a resident lol and I would have been looking at that new pc sooner then later PDT_Armataz_01_12
Falker

Post by Falker »

Well I think it’s safe to say I got the tech 1 level down. Well, all except the bots as I had not much use for them all. But the support buildings , ground and air defenses , Navy and air force is all familiar now as to what they do and how best to use them.

I like the AEON so far. They shoot bright white light out of their gun turrets and navy guns. I can see where it’s going , looking cool. Same with building resources, showing a thick white beam as the building goes up.

I’ve been putting my tech bots in groups of 3 or 4. That way the buildings or manufacturing of bots , planes , navy goes much faster.

It took me awhile to find out that the torpedo bombers and regular air craft bombers wont bomb if your send them out on patrol. But they get shot down nicely. So you got to actually give them a target is what im saying.

I’m still playing the campaign and have started to move on to Tech 2 now. I was just playing this game all day long yesterday from sun up to sun down and just before bedtime. Whew.. I’ve played for 2 hours just to defeat one small island and just when I thought I was about done,… the map expands and more bad guys show up lol. Except their island is more fortified then the last one so Whew…. Another 2 hours later and it does it Again! But there’s something about this game that says playyy meeeeee. PDT_Armataz_01_08 PDT_Armataz_01_08 WoooOOOoooo ... Some from of hypnotizing that keeps you captivated in the game. Maybe an encrypted program embedded in the software. I dunno, but I do know im only on my second map and it took me a long Long time to get there. And this is just One of the campaigns. After that I’ll need to play the other two to check them out as well. Then it on to Skirmishes. And more and more mods! With more maps and more bots. I can see this turning out to last quite awhile and that’s a good thing because I was completely bored with playing my older games.