Supreme Commander Tips

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Falker

Supreme Commander Tips

Post by Falker »

Supreme Commander Tips

Patrol:

You’ll need to send your bots to a location first and then set a point to patrol to.

(1) Select your bots
(2) left click on the move button
(3) left click on a place you want them to go
(4) left click the patrol button
(5) left click on where you want them to patrol
(6) You should see both circles light up briefly
(7) Done

Tech Bots:

The tech bots ready for commands , are located under the commander icon , upper right hand screen.

(1) right click on the tech bot icon
(2) this will send you to a location on the map where a tech bot is awaiting command orders. (It will just sit there doing nothing until you give it one. )
(3) Give the tech bot a command.
(4) You’ll notice that the number of tech bots on the icon has dropped 1 , that’s because that tech bot is no longer available , until it’s done with the command.
(5) Keep right clicking the tech bot icon and it will send you to all your tech bot locations that are awaiting commands.
(6) Now you notice that the number of tech bots on the icon has increased, (what’s this? ) Right click on the icon and it will take you to the place where the last tech bot has just finished it's duties. It’s time to give them more commands.
(7) Once you send a tech bot on patrol , it will always be doing something so you’ll never see it in the tech bot icon ,- unless you catch it wondering around outside the base and give it new command orders.
Last edited by Falker on 28 Feb 2007, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
We're in the pipe , five by five.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Trick for building multiple buildings is to select the building y9ou wish to build,. then place it but continue to hold the left mouse button and move in a direction and you can see a row of buildings that will be built. Release the button to build. Great for setting up power farms.

Radar, trust me you REALY REALY want radar and upgrade it to level 3 ASAP. It lets you know whats coming and if you have things like level 2 pint defense guns you can see to there max rang and they will engage anything they they can. Even better for those level 2 and level 3 BIG artillery guns which again will engage if it can see it. Sames goes for sonar on water maps, as those subs where able to sit out of the detection rang of my torpedo launchers and take them out without the sonar. If I had sonar, the torpedo launchers would have riped that sub a new one.
Falker

Post by Falker »

Transport:

(1) Place the bots in one area ready for transport.
(2) Move the transports right next to the bots.
(3) Select all the units including the transports and select an area where you would like to transport them. Your transports will automatically load the bots without you having to , and transport them designated area.

If your in a hurry , select all the bots and the transports on the map. Click a place to move to. The transports will fly around the map and scavenge the bots where ever they are and drop them in the designated area.

Thats a neat trick Veg. I going to haft to give that a try. : )
Last edited by Falker on 28 Feb 2007, 08:59, edited 2 times in total.
Falker

Post by Falker »

Missile Launchers:

Use the tech bots to help the missile launcher build missiles faster. This way you can build a missile in a matter of seconds and knock out the enemy front lines in no time.
Falker

Post by Falker »

bump
Last edited by Falker on 28 Feb 2007, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
Falker

Post by Falker »

bump
Gator

Post by Gator »

1) Queue many actions in order to never have idle builder-bots.
2) Don't bump a thread twice in 2 minutes.
3) Don't build mass or energy storage - it's not cost-effective.
4) Be careful about mass-fab farms -- chain reactions can be disastrous
5) Good thread on resource managemenet at gas powered games forums tells good way to build efficient mass farms. Less energy spent, more mass created. (i'll edit this post and add a link when I get the chance).
6) RTFM :)
Silence is golden - Duct Tape is silver
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

this what you are looking for

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=1009

also unit listing

http://147.28.0.58/supcom/

and never run into a chain reaction, but I am sure my T3 farm last night would have been in bad shape if that happened to me

Gator going to try the Bot on the next AI level again tonight but doing nothing but Defensive crap ASAP
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

why on earth would you need to bump sopmething TWICE within 5 minutes of the last post unless you are looking to increase your post count?
Helmut
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

post count is my bet. Steel maybe you should knock Falker down to 1 post count for the fun of it PDT_Armataz_01_12
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

LMAO I am reading through a thread over on the SC forms about the T3 Gunship. O its to powerful it can't be defeated bitch bitch bitch bitch. Um yes it can, but yes they are powerful but extreamly effective. Whats going to happen is they will end up nerfing the t3 gunship, which in turn well probably make them nurf the t2 gunships.

Got to love how the hard core guys relay do control the way the game is modified lol.
Gator

Post by Gator »

VEGETA wrote:this what you are looking for

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=1009

also unit listing

http://147.28.0.58/supcom/
Yep, that's the thread. Note it on some paper and try it out - works a champ. Thanks.
VEGETA wrote: Gator going to try the Bot on the next AI level again tonight but doing nothing but Defensive crap ASAP
Yes, I think he's beatable, just like you said, more balance perhaps. You can't employ the same tactics we used against a defensive AI when he decides to attack early.

TIP: (Falker): Recal our "change the UI" patch in another thread? Well, the game patch added the commands CTRL-UP and CTRL-DN to cycle through several different UI modes including a minimal mode and modes that place the UI on the sides.

In the further spirit of this thread, did you notice that it creates "game<n>" folders in your "my documents" folder where it stores the stats for every game you play? In XML? How easy would it be to web-ize this for a little stat page? All we'd need is a good style sheet. Anyone?
Gator

Post by Gator »

Veg,
I'm in the middle (it could actually turn out to be the beginning - depending how long it goes) of a match against that "Balanced AI" on the 81kmx81km water map. I survived his early trickle attacks and even beat back the "giant stomper bot" ... now i need to survive his 10, countem 10 T3 naval factories. I've been trying to build defense-in-depth while I beat back his probes and also trying to tech-up my factories so I can bring some bigger guns to the fight. It's definitely tougher than the "Challenge AI" that we've beaten so easily.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Well one thing I may recommend is the shield generators. Seams they are tealy good and worth the coin. I an't played with them yet but thinking overlapping generators could be very fun. Stop some crap from being destroyed. Its like you need to build EVERYTHING for defense lol.
Gator

Post by Gator »

Since we've been playing more, I'll post this little tip I've been using to great effect.

Efficient Mass Generation:
1) Tech 1 Mass Extractors are the most "bang for the buck" ... I haven't upgraded them ever in the last several games. Build as many as you can even if you know they'll get destroyed soon - they only have to survive a few seconds to pay for themselves.

2) Mass Fabricators. Don't place them too close together or too close to other important assets - they go big boom.

3) Mass Fab Farms: Mass Fabs cost energy while they are running. This energy cost goes down if you place the power generator adjacent to the fab. There is probably an "efficient" layout that can be used.

If you are still in Tech 1 (T1), this is the efficient layout, where "M" = Mass Fab and "P" = Power Gen: (click the "expand" link to see the whole window)

Code: Select all

PMP
PMPMP
 PMPMP
  PMPMP
   PMP
You don't gain anything by building a longer chain and you don't gain any more efficiency by adding more power generators. This will create the most mass for the least power consumed. Build more than one if you need do. Then, add the Mass Fabs to a "group" that you can select easily so you can turn them off if you no longer need the Mass and you'll have energy production surpluss for later in the game.

Once you get to Tech 3 (T3), this is the efficient mass farm: (click the "expand" link to see the whole window)

Code: Select all

where 

PPPP
PPPP
PPPP
PPPP = T3 Power Gen

PPP
PPP
PPP = T2 Power Gen

MMM
MMM
MMM = T3 Mass Fab

PPPMMM
PPPMMM
PPPMMM
MMMPPPP
MMMPPPPMMM
MMMPPPPMMM
   PPPPMMM
    MMMPPPP
    MMMPPPPMMM
    MMMPPPPMMM
       PPPPMMM
        MMMPPP
        MMMPPP
        MMMPPP
Again, you won't gain anything by building it bigger, just build more than one. You can add the mass fabs to a group for easy on/off switching. I tend to ring these with AA/Point Def for safety. The other benefit of keeping them to this size, you won't get a catastrophic chain reaction that will destroy the entire mass economy (that is, if you built one of these T1 farms and kept extending it, the enemy would only need to destroy ONE of the tiny T1 Mass Fabs to destroy the ENTIRE farm with one chain reaction.)

Keep in mind that building these farms will only help your "mass" economy. You will need some standalone power generators, which you should place adjacent to any other structures you are building (artillery, factories, missile launchers, shield generators, etc) in order to lessen their energy load.
Softball

Post by Softball »

Thanks Gator, I'll give that layout a try, hopefully I will see a big difference with Mass income.

What do you think about adding another PGen and a shield generator or two to protect it, or even a stealth generator?

"SILENCE, I KILL YOU!!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
AKA: Staark or Staark_RLG
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

to be hoienst I have not even used shield generators. They can be defeated, and can't block nukes. I put more into my defensive ring around my base, idea of stopping the enemy before shields are useful. In longer games I would most likely add them in as well, but I would not do them any time early in a game.

tho that massive defense ring was worth every cent, once up the only thing that got past it he had was the mobile factory. And I should have had better armor to help out as that is just a urber unit.

but I also see the ring not working against say a human player as O look here comes 50 gun ships you an't taking them down fast enough to deal.
Gator

Post by Gator »

to run the Supreme Commander benchmark, create a shortcut to the exe with /perf at the end ... will give you a score and put some statistics in a file for you to look at. It will test the game at whatever graphics settings you have configured in-game.