Halo 2 (PC)

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Steel wrote:but linux is just daunting to most folks anyway.
Heh, linux?? I could grind my company down to a halt if I simply deleted the desktop icons from most of the workstations.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

to be honest its the geeks who are waiting for the fixess first. I work in a IT based companey, and no one here wants to go to Vista any tiem soon on personal pc's. Gives you a idea when geeks only toss it on test machines at best
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Panzer,
you would be surprised then at the newer linux desktop environments. you should take a look...
Helmut
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

I second Steels comments, some nice stough out there
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Steel wrote:actually it is relatively easy...with nvidia you run a command and their script handles the rest.
I would tend to agree with you from personal experience. I use Fedora, on a computer with an nvidia card and I don't even have to compile anything. The livna repository has everything pre compiled for each kernel as the kernel comes out, no fuss, no muss, it just works.

BUT in all my forays through newsgroups and messageboards it appears that there are still far too many people having problems. And when I was using an ATI card, configuring settings so that I would get proper 3D performance, hand editing xorg.conf, ya that's fine for me. What does all that mean for your average home user though.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

ati linux support blows...

the nvidia folks having issues are probably trying too hard. they think because it is linux they have to dick with it. :)
Helmut
Jedi Master

Post by Jedi Master »

The SimHQ groups are doing pretty well at sticking together now. Unlike OFP, ArmA really forces you to do it if you want any chance at survival.

As for being a Vista-only game, it's not DX10 only, it's still DX9 and COULD work with XP no problem. MS is simply going to make sure it won't. Not the same as games that finally dropped support for old 95, 98, and 2k years after their release.
The Jedi Master