Dropping GPS Guided Munitions with TPod in F/A-18

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

Dropping GPS Guided Munitions with TPod in F/A-18

Post by Grifter »

So, I went on Hoggit and simply asked the stupid question for the sake of getting an expedient answer. Turns out that using the TPod for Area lock is not enough to designate a target. Not sure why I thought it was, but it's been a while since I've flown the F/A-18C and attacked ground targets. Turns out you have to press the TDC to lock the target and send the coordinates to the bombs from the pod. I'll try again next week.
Bones

Re: Dropping GPS Guided Munitions with TPod in F/A-18

Post by Bones »

Ah, yes, I remember that now!

Yes area track just stabilizes the view. But then you have to designate it via TDC depress then it has coordinates attached to it that can be sent to TOO modes.

Now you can sleep tonight!

Don't feel stupid about asking a question like that. I was feeling the same way when I asked the forums yesterday why my Tomcats right fuel feed was always running out so quickly and thought I'd get some answer like "Duh, hit the cross feed switch." But it turne dout it was a bug that recently came up and the only fix is to cycle the switch on and off and they were surprised that yesterday's patch didn't fix it.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Thanks for that reminder.

Its hard to keep it all straight sometimes.
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

After I got home from work yesterday, I decided to fly for an hour just to make sure I knew what I was doing. I was able to successfully drop both JSOW A and GBU 38's without issue. Destroyed all my targets accept one attempt with a GBU 38. Not sure why it missed in that particular instance. But the other strikes hit just fine.

I then proceeded to bomb a runway strip with the Mirage 2000 and the new Ballute 100's. They work like Durandels. When you pickle them, a high drag chute slows them, and then a rocket motor fires and drills them straight down into the runway. They explode once they are planted underneath the asphalt. Absolutely devastating and very fun to watch.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

The JF-17 also has runway bombs as well...
Helmut
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I'm sensing a JF-17 / Mirage 2000 combo on a runway strike inbound. 450 kts and 500 feet off the deck, pickle, pickle, pickle.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

you over-estimate my training regimen...
Helmut