DCS on Monday Nights, let's make it Teamwork Night

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Grifter

DCS on Monday Nights, let's make it Teamwork Night

Post by Grifter »

Bones and I have been chatting, and we both think while there will always be something to work on: navigation, flying formation, dogfighting, communication, etc, I think we've gotten to a point where practice has diminishing returns. Instead, we should make Monday night an opportunity to run realistic sim sessions on Monday night with a real emphasis on teamwork. That's not everyone's cup of tea, I get it. But flying as a unit really ups the realism factor. We can run an alternative campaign on Monday nights. Surrexen's Syria mission should be playable now that we've removed the General AI. We could make packages for Monday nights and fly them. Or, we could fly Foothold as a unit. Let me know what you guys want to do.
Bones

Re: DCS on Monday Nights, let's make it Teamwork Night

Post by Bones »

Oh and we discussed making WEdnesday nights training/play around nights. So if you want to train on something specific, we can do that on Wednesdays. Or if you just wanted to loosely fly a mission, or do pvp, or just zone out and so AirQuake instead, you can do that too. But MOndays we were thinking will be MilSim night.

Sound off, what do you think?

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Im fine with Mondays or Wednesdays.

I always like the idea of flying set missions with objectives or Surrexen's. I enjoy flying with you guys so "training" or not Im in.
Bones, any chance we could load up as a unit with that other group you play with and do some PvE coop missions together? (thoughts on that?)
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I think panzer and Jedis input is important on this one. They usually aren't available on Mondays and it's being proposed to flip mission and training nights. So they would only trading and not take part in missions under this scenario. Mondays are harder for me to be there.

But I will go with the flow and be there as often I can regardless of the plan. I'm still far from confident in the helos so I will use training for helo practice and sometimes formation flying or whatever fixed wing training is planned.

By the way I hear young people saying off-ten for that word instead of offen. It always sounds strange to me.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Mondays are out for me so I'm good with keeping Wednesdays for our standard mission nights.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Cr33p3r wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 04:31

By the way I hear young people saying off-ten for that word instead of offen. It always sounds strange to me.
Creeper,

I think that is a regional thing. Here in the Midwest we say off-ten. We also say pop instead of soda. I noticed people from Jersey or that Eastern area (I even notice you saying it) say "AH-range" rather than "OAR-range" and "HAR-able" rather than "WHORE-able" (pun intended). Erc Etc

One thing I will say though, is that whole "Da Bears" thing is a WHORE-able stereotype. I almost never hear anyone say it here naturally except as a joke. That accent is an old South Side accent that no one even really speaks like anymore. It bugs me to think people think we speak like that here on a regular basis, and I grew up a South Sider, even though now I live as a cake-eating North Sider now...

Haha, Chicago geopolitics!

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 08:56

One thing I will say though, is that whole "Da Bears" thing is a WHORE-able stereotype. I almost never hear anyone say it here naturally except as a joke. That accent is an old South Side accent that no one even really speaks like anymore. It bugs me to think people think we speak like that here on a regular basis, and I grew up a South Sider, even though now I live as a cake-eating North Sider now...

Haha, Chicago geopolitics!

v6,
boNes

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that accent came from Polish-Americans so naturally it makes sense that the accent slowly died out with each subsequent generation as it became further removed from the original Polish immigrants who came to Chicago.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Oh, and you can largely blame those Saturday Night live "Mike Ditka" sketches from the late 80's for cementing that stereotype!
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

Oh man you have exposed me! Eye jus wants youze guys to get what I'm sayin badda bing. We don tawk da best I guess!

My wife perpetually makes fun of my jersey accent. Its been tempered a bit after 23 yrs in the south.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Cr33p3r wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 09:37
Oh man you have exposed me! Eye jus wants youze guys to get what I'm sayin badda bing. We don tawk da best I guess!

My wife perpetually makes fun of my jersey accent. Its been tempered a bit after 23 yrs in the south.
Have native North Carolinians ever used the "Y" word on you? PDT_Armataz_01_14
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

Again, another option so that no one loses out on a mission night is simply to run two different campaigns. One on Wednesdays and one on Mondays. The difference is that Mondays would place more of an emphasis on flying as a unit with stronger communication, and realistic SOP's when we're aware of them. Surexxen's persistant mission might be best on Monday nights because we could put packages together and run them that way. Wednesday nights may also be run in this way if everyone wishes to fly in this fashion, but it's fairly plain to me that not everyone is all that interested in doing so and Air Quake commences as a result. Some of us find that play style in a simulation a bit frustrating. It's not the style of play we're really looking for. But, rather than try to fit a square peg in a round hole, Bones and I are proposing a separate night committed to more realistic ops. I certainly find the idea appealing.
Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 09:41
Cr33p3r wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 09:37

Have native North Carolinians ever used the "Y" word on you? PDT_Armataz_01_14
They have on me, even Creeper's mother in law did once!

And yes, Chris Farley and George Wendt helped cement that "Chicago" accent with the SuperFans. He was living here at the time of his death.

v6,
boNes
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Grifter wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 14:15
Again, another option so that no one loses out on a mission night is simply to run two different campaigns. One on Wednesdays and one on Mondays. The difference is that Mondays would place more of an emphasis on flying as a unit with stronger communication, and realistic SOP's when we're aware of them. Surexxen's persistant mission might be best on Monday nights because we could put packages together and run them that way. Wednesday nights may also be run in this way if everyone wishes to fly in this fashion, but it's fairly plain to me that not everyone is all that interested in doing so and Air Quake commences as a result. Some of us find that play style in a simulation a bit frustrating. It's not the style of play we're really looking for. But, rather than try to fit a square peg in a round hole, Bones and I are proposing a separate night committed to more realistic ops. I certainly find the idea appealing.
This sounds like a good plan to me! I can also speak for Jedi and say that since he can't make it on Mondays anyway that reserving Mondays for training and hardcore mission planning is fine.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I'm fine with whatever the plan is. I learn every time I fly no matter how formal or loose things are. I am loving Liberation.

I've been jumping back into XP11 to practice my by-the-book flying skills.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I like the idea of a campaign on both days.....

I also like liberation because we get flight plans / kneeboards - it seems more structured then Snowfox...etc.... But it does take more work. I think we keep the Liberation for Wednesdays (hope Creeper is getting comfortable with 6.0...lol) and we do the Surrexin or other missions on the Mondays?

Im fine with either though days and options.....
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I wouldn't mind trying Foothold on Monday nights or Surrexen's Syria mission. Either would be fine I think.
Xpendable

Post by Xpendable »

I thought I had sent this reply earlier but looks like it didn't get submitted. Anyway, I love the teamwork idea. Unfortunately I am not really going to be available most Mondays. My wife gives me enough crap just for flying Wednesday nights. I can't pull off Mondays, too. I might be able to switch my night but I will have some occasional conflicts. It will be best effort.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

you and me both (uh, my wife that is, not yours!) Xpen.
Helmut