DCS Beta 2.9

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Bones

DCS Beta 2.9

Post by Bones »

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Re: DCS Beta 2.9

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Yeah, it's huge. I'll just start the download when I go to bed tonight.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I just watched the promo video from Wags about the update. I was particularly excited to see that you can now have the option to create and save your payload in game. No more having to redo the payload every time you jump into a new cockpit. Just save it once and select it from the list. I'm somewhat bummed to see they have added the C-RAM Air Defense system, which can shoot down bombs and missiles. If those are included in the missions we play, we will likely find it very difficult to to attack ground targets defended by them. We should figure out a way to get past this particular defense (or not include them in our missions, LOL).
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

This was a massive update. I watched a few videos and setup the DLSS and I noticed a difference. Im not techie but I followed the video for Spudknocker. Ill watch a few more over the coming days and adjust accordingly.

I really like the idea of the grass and trees waving when the helo gets close by and the explosion shockwaves. The chat is a nice feature but not sure we'd use it. New data link stuff is going to be great too.

Maybe you guys would know.... would you be able to setup the F14 as a donor plane on Data link or only F16s and 18s, 15s, Apaches etc....?
Bones

Post by Bones »

You will not be able to set up the F-14 as a donor link. This is because the F-14 models that are in DCS were based on the real life F-14A and B which was on LINK4A and 4C. These were exclusive to all aircraft except for the E-2/E-3 and other F-14s.

The F-14D, the F-1B (Upgrade) incorporated LINK16, like the F/A-18, but the Delta is no modeled or planned to be modeled in DCS.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Thanks Bones...

Saw this in the notes... might be fun to try and shoot you guys down... anyone else have combined arms? Also wonder if the last point is something that may come for the hueys etc...

Combined Arms by Eagle Dynamics
Added: 2 basic Anti-Aircraft Training missions (Red - Caucasus, Blue - Marianas).
Added "trajectory forecast" for modern SPAAG.
Added the ability for the player to transport infantry.
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

the server is updated, but the update seems to have hosed it. it will not do the normal user logon, and cannot find the exe file as it adds /bin-mt\dcs.exe as the target it is looking for. will need to investigate when i have time.
Helmut
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

if anyone has time to research, here is the error message just before the server shuts itself down:

00001.789 STATUS: Can't run C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta Server\bin-mt/DCS.exe: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.

EDIT: actually it looks like an issue with the update. a couple work arounds, and something about modular server vs. "old" version. the modular server seems to be openbeta (so it seems), which we are running and it is supposed to work. reinstalling means a bunch of work to get the server set back up again.
Helmut
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

Hammer wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 21:04
if anyone has time to research, here is the error message just before the server shuts itself down:

00001.789 STATUS: Can't run C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta Server\bin-mt/DCS.exe: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.

EDIT: actually it looks like an issue with the update. a couple work arounds, and something about modular server vs. "old" version. the modular server seems to be openbeta (so it seems), which we are running and it is supposed to work. reinstalling means a bunch of work to get the server set back up again.
Hey Hammer,

Admittedly this is a bit foreign to me be but I found a post from 2 days ago, similar issue with screenshots. There a few comments suggesting different things....

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/335374-29 ... nt-launch/

BigNewy replied in this one...

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/335284-ca ... er-update/
Grifter

Post by Grifter »

I do like the idea of simulated radio comms, which the new built in comms does. It's arguably more immersive than the "clean and clear" comms TS3 offers. But, that's just me. I suppose that's not a good enough reason to change. Does the new in games comms offer multiple channels, like SRS? That would be a boon and quite appealing to me. It was really, really difficult to hear Bones communicating with me during our WVR fight with those migs last session because there was a full-blown conversation going on the main channel. Not that I'm against socializing, but I had to ask Bones to repeat himself several times, and we could've been killed because we couldn't each other. A quick an easy way to switch channels in game rather than alt-tabbing to desktop, or the ability to mute and unmute a channel in game would be really advantageous.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

OK, I have the server up and running again. I used one of the tricks in the threads, but the server should be re-installed at some point (it is a bit of work).

Can someone please connect and see if it is indeed working as expected and report back here?

BTW - I like the though of the in game comms as well. I do believe it works with channels selected in the aircraft though, for me that is the downside. I get by with simple radio, and using this probably means that I need to spend time learning/training on the radios in the aircraft I fly. But, as you have seen I have not been on in 3 months, so do not let my thoughts/issues stop you all from trying it out/adopting it.
Helmut
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Thanks for all that you do Hammer with the DCS and Teamspeak servers!
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Trichome

Post by Trichome »

I was able to get into the server but for some reason I'm only getting 1 fps. Im using MT.
If I go into a quick mission, everything being the same - still using MT - I get 74 FPS.....smooth as butter.

RLG Server without MT I get the normal FPS
Quick mission without MT I get the normal FPS'

With MT On and if I run my own multiplayer server mission I get regular FPS 60+
With MT On and if I go into the HOGGIT server its stays high until I start to move around then it tanks to 1-20 FPS
RLG with MT on just stays under 10 fps

Any ideas why that might be happening? will get screenshots of my setting if needed...
Last edited by Trichome on 25 Oct 2023, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Cr33p3r

Post by Cr33p3r »

I plan to be there tonight. Hopefully on by 8. I have pre-approved with the boss.
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

I joined the server about an hour ago with no issues. I'm using DLSS for anti-aliasing.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I'll check the server later today.

Question re: 2.9. Since I have an RTX4070, do these new anti-aliasing DLSS etc settings really help me? I've toyed around with some of these setting and I can't say I've noticed a difference in the graphics or FPS (mine are in the 120-150s). Perhaps this is more for VR?

v6,
boNes