Eagle Dynamics Database crash

For the DCS World series of games.

Moderator: RLG MGMT Team

Xpendable

Eagle Dynamics Database crash

Post by Xpendable »

Apparently Eagle Dynamics has suffered a major database outage that has taken everybody's game and modules offline. They are actively working on restoring from a backup, but no ETA has been given and I'm guessing it's been awhile already from what I can make out on the comments on ED's Discord server.
PanzerMeyer

Re: Eagle Dynamics Database crash

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Holy cow. Thanks for this heads up Xpen.
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Now I'm glad I didn't log on this morning to get a quick hop in!

Hopefully it will be done by mission night.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

If I understand correctly, you can play DCS in offline mode but you will only be able to play the Flaming Cliffs planes and the SU-25T which comes free with DCS World. Is that correct?
I have learned from experience that a modicum of snuff can be most efficacious - Baron Munchausen
Bones

Post by Bones »

Database is back up.

Someone pointed this out and it's basically true. You bought the module, but really you don't own it...otherwise you should be able to use it locally even if their server is down. It was just an interesting perspective. Kinda like you bought the house, but it's really the bank's until you pay off the mortgage. Except in ED's case, you paid off the mortgage and they still won the module, not you. Kinda like renting without the monthly fee.

v6,
boNes
"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
PanzerMeyer

Post by PanzerMeyer »

Bones wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 08:19
Database is back up.

Someone pointed this out and it's basically true. You bought the module, but really you don't own it...otherwise you should be able to use it locally even if their server is down. It was just an interesting perspective. Kinda like you bought the house, but it's really the bank's until you pay off the mortgage. Except in ED's case, you paid off the mortgage and they still won the module, not you. Kinda like renting without the monthly fee.

v6,
boNes
You can apply this to many other things like streaming services. You don't "own" any of the movies or shows on it. They can and often do go away permanently if the streaming service decides not to renew the licensing fee with the respective studios.
Bones

Post by Bones »

PanzerMeyer wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 08:35

You can apply this to many other things like streaming services. You don't "own" any of the movies or shows on it. They can and often do go away permanently if the streaming service decides not to renew the licensing fee with the respective studios.
Yup!

And that's why for movies I like, I still buy the BluRay.

Of course, since this is dependent also on the market, as people stream more and more and care less and less about physical media, I might not be able to do that anymore. But until then, I can still watch the movies I DO own while I still have the means to play/view them. If my BluRay player end up breaking down and everyone is streaming so that players are no longer sold, then that's it for me unless I buy a player off of eBay.

Sucks how the consumer doesn't know how much they are screwing themselves and others in that sense. But whatcha gonna do?

v6,
boNes